Dragon DRR60230 German Sd. Kfz. 251 Ausf. C Half-Track - 4.Panzer Division, Eastern Front, 1943 (1:72 Scale)
"We must do everything we can to promote anti-tank defense, and work just as hard to guarantee successful counter-attacks through the instrument of powerful tank forces of our own."
- Major-General Heinz Guderian, "Achtung Panzer!"
The Sonderkraftfahrzeug (Sd. Kfz.) 251 half-track had its origins in the same requirement as the smaller and lighter Sd. Kfz. 250. Intended as an armored personnel carrier, the Sd. Kfz. 251 entered service in 1939, and quickly became the standard means of transport for the panzergrenadiers. As it turned out, the Sd. Kfz. 251 was an especially useful vehicle, not only capable of keeping up with the newly formed panzer divisions but also providing invaluable support as well. All told, there were 22 special-purpose variants built, including the menacing-looking Stukavoss ("infantry Stuka"), which mounted a series of rocket launchers on the outer sides of the vehicle. Other variants included a flame-thrower, anti-tank, and communications vehicle, as well as an observation post, ambulance, and infra-red searchlight carrier. Despite suffering from early reliability problems, the Sd. Kfz. 251 was produced by the thousands, eventually becoming a trademark of the German panzertruppe on all fronts.
There were four main model modifications to the Sd.Kfz. 251 (Ausfuhrung A through D), which formed the basis for at least 22 variants. The initial idea was for a vehicle that could be used to transport a single squad of 10 panzergrenadiers to the battlefield protected from enemy small arms fire, and with some protection from artillery fire. In addition, the standard mounting of at least one MG 34 or MG 42 machine gun allowed the vehicle to provide suppressive fire for the rifle squad both while they dismounted and in combat.
The troop compartment was protected by armor on its sides, but open on top. The armor plates were designed to provide protection against standard rifle/ machine gun bullets (such as the 7.92x57mm Mauser). The front-facing plates were 14.5mm thick; the sides were V-shaped 8mm thick plates, steeply angled to increase their effective protection against horizontal fire. This level of armor provided protection against normal (non-tungsten) rifle AP round, which could pierce about 8mm of vertical armor.
This particular 1:72 scale replica of a Sd. Kfz. 251 half-track is painted in a summer camouflage pattern and was attached to the 4.Panzer Division, then serving along the Eastern Front during 1943.
Sold Out!
Dimensions:
Length: 3-inches
Width: 1-inch
Release Date: August 2006
Historical Account: "Pan's Enchantment" - Formed at Wurzburg in November 1938, 4.Panzer-Division fought in both Poland and France, before remaining in France on occupation duty until November 1940. It was later transferred to East Prussia to take part in the invasion of the USSR, fighting on the central sector of the Eastern front. Like the rest of the Wehrmacht, it was eventually pushed back by the Red Army. The unit fought in Latvia and Kurland from the summer of 1944 until January 1945, when it was transferred to West Prussia where it surrendered to the Red Army in April 1945.