Forces of Valor 81203 US M16 Multiple Gun Motor Carriage - 457th AAA, 29th Infantry Division, Ardennes, 1944 (1:32 Scale)
"In war there is no second prize for the runner-up."
- General Omar Bradley
The best known American half-tracks were the M series made as a standardized design by Autocar, Diamond T, International and White. The M series had a similar front end to the White M3A1 Scout Car but used more powerful engines: a 147bhp 6.3-liter White AX in the Autocar, Diamond T, and White, and a 143bhp 1HC in the International. Each version had four-speed gearboxes with two-speed transfer boxes and drive to the front axle as well as the tracked bogie. The M series half-tracks were widely used by US forces in most theatres of the war, and were also supplied under the Lend-Lease Program to Great Britain, Canada and the Soviet Union. A total of 41,170 were made.
First deployed during the end of WWII and then again in the Korean War, the Maxom quadruple .50 caliber AA machine gun mount was called "Meat Chopper" because of its impressive firepower when used against human wave attacks. Comes with two figures: a gunner and a spotter.
Length: 8 inches
Width: 2.8 inches
Height: 3.25 inches
Release Date: July 2004
Historical Account: "The Blue and Gray" - Following the drive through France, the 29th Division ("The Blue and Gray") clawed its way into western Germany. The men missed Hitler's Ardennes offensive (the Battle of the Bulge) but by keeping up pressure on their own sector of the line, freed other units to counterattack and defeat Germany's last major threat. In the spring "The Blue and Gray" finally broke through, capturing a number of cities and thousands of prisoners. Munchen-Gladbach fell to the division on March 1st, 1945 which then found itself supporting other American forces mopping up resistance in Germany's industrial heartland, the Ruhr Pocket. This operation involved little combat as everyone realized that the war was about to end. On April 24th, the 116th became the first unit in the 29th Infantry Division to reach the Elbe River where the Americans halted to await their Russian allies advancing from the east. The first Soviet unit (5th Guards Cavalry Division) reached the 29th's sector on May 2nd. The following day, Brig. Gen. Sands, Division Artillery commander, crossed the river to greet them. With Germany's surrender the men of "The Blue and Gray" moved west again to assume occupation duties in the region around the ancient city of Bremen and its port, Bremerhaven, where they remained until it was time to ship home.