Corgi AA36902 German Junkers Ju 52-3mg7E Tri-Motor Minesweeper - MSGr1, PD+KH, Budaross Airfield, Hungary, 1944 (1:72 Scale)
"Guns before butter. Guns will make us powerful; butter will only make us fat."
- Reichsmarschall Hermann Goering, Head of the German Luftwaffe
Like the USAF C-47, the Junkers Ju 52 tri-motor was first built in the 1930s and remained in service for more than a quarter century. It made its maiden flight in April 1931, and three years later a heavy bomber variant entered service with the German Luftwaffe. The latter version formed the nucleus of the Luftwaffe's early bomber force, which was used with great effect during the Spanish Civil War.
By 1939, the Ju 52 was obsolete as a bomber, but because of its durability, simplicity of design, and handling characteristics, it continued to serve throughout WW II as a versatile workhorse for the German transport fleet. Adolf Hitler even used a Ju 52 as his private transport. Ju 52s delivered the attacking forces and their supplies during the German invasion of Norway, Denmark, France, and the Low Countries in 1940. Later on, approximately 500 Ju 52s participated in the historic airborne assault on the island of Crete in May 1941 and later supplied Rommel's panzerwaffe operating in North Africa.
This particular 1:72 scale replica of a German Junkers Ju-52 was used as a minesweeper and based at Budaross airfield in Hungary during 1944. Sold Out!
Wingspan: 16 inches
Length: 10.25 inches
Release Date: September 2007
Historical Account: Starting out as a three engine transport, the Ju 52 served as a bomber, aerial ambulance, floatplane, minesweeper (with a magnetic ring), glider tug, and other roles too numerous to mention. In October 1930, the first Ju 52 flew and demonstrated the double wing technique of full flaps and ailerons, which gave the aircraft tremendous lift and a short take off. Only 5 Ju 52s were built as the 3m versions with three engines instead of the single one of the prototype proved to have much better performance.