The 75 mm Howitzer Motor Carriage M8, sometimes known as the M8 Scott, was a self-propelled howitzer vehicle of the United States developed during the Second World War. It was developed on the chassis of the then-new Light Tank M5 (General Stuart VI). The test vehicle had the standard M5 turret removed, and replaced with an open topped turret, this vehicle was designated the T47.
Armament consisted of a new open topped turret armed with a 75 mm M2 howitzer, later an 75 mm M3 howitzer, which were reworks of the M1A1 pack howitzer. It carried 46 rounds of 75 mm ammunition; types of ammunition carried were Smoke M89 and H.E. (High Explosive) M48. It featured no coaxial or hull mounted Browning M1919A4 .30-06 machine guns as featured on standard Light Tank M5s. The only other armament was Browning M2HB .50 cal machine gun for local area, and anti-aircraft defense; 400 rounds of .50 cal were stowed onboard for the M2HB.
Pictured here is a 1:72 scale replica of a Free French 75 mm Howitzer Motor Carriage M8 Tank that saw action in the European Theatre of Operations. Sold Out!
Length: 2-1/2 inches
Width: 1-1/4 inches
Release Date: March 2012
Historical Account: "Edith" - Edith was an M8 that belonged to the First Regiment of Moroccan Spahis. Spahis is a derivative of an Ottoman (sipahi) and Middle Persian (Spah) word meaning "army", or "horsemen". Eventually the unit became the reconnaissance regiment for the French 2nd Armored Division. Edith had a very tragic ending on September 11th, 1944, near the town of Andelot-Blancheville when it was struck by a Panzerfaust grenade that punched a hole in the left side of the hull. Edith can be seen in Andelot-Blancheville as a monument to the brave men that fought and died there.