As military vehicles go, the White M3A1 scout car was relatively short-lived during the war. First produced in 1938, it was basically obsolete as a frontline vehicle after the North African campaign because of its limited seating capacity. Initially, the scout car was primarily used by armored and reconnaissance units, but it was more suited to road use than cross-country terrain, so the larger and more robust half-track was developed. By the time the Allies hit France in 1944, the car was relegated to MP and rear echelon units in the US Army, although it was more widely used at the front by the French and Russians.
The vehicle could carry a crew of eight and was armed with a .50 caliber M2 machine gun in the front and two .30 caliber 1917 Brownings positioned in the rear. All three guns were mounted on a continuous skate rail which could bring down a lot of fire on a target. The car was also equipped with an SCR506, 508 or 510 radio.