Hobby Master HA1965 US Navy McDonnell F-4N Phantom II Fighter-Bomber - VF-161 "Chargers", CAG Bird of CVW-5, USS Midway (CV-41), 1977 (1:72 Scale)
"The winner [of an air battle] may have been determined by the amount of time, energy, thought and training an individual has previously accomplished in an effort to increase his ability as a fighter pilot."
- Lt. Randy "Duke" Cunningham
The McDonnell Douglas F-4 Phantom II is a two-seat, twin-engined, all-weather, long-range supersonic fighter-bomber originally developed for the U.S. Navy by McDonnell Aircraft. Proving highly adaptable, it became a major part of the air wings of the U.S. Navy, Marine Corps, and U.S. Air Force. It was used extensively by all three of these services during the Vietnam War, serving as the principal air superiority fighter for both the Navy and Air Force, as well as being important in the ground-attack and reconnaissance roles by the close of U.S. involvement in the war.
First entering service in 1960, the Phantom continued to form a major part of U.S. military air power throughout the 1970s and 1980s, being gradually replaced by more modern aircraft such as the F-15 Eagle and F-16 Fighting Falcon in the U.S. Air Force and the F-14 Tomcat and F/A-18 Hornet in the U.S. Navy. It remained in service in the reconnaissance and Wild Weasel roles in the 1991 Gulf War, finally leaving service in 1996. The Phantom was also operated by the armed forces of 11 other nations. Israeli Phantoms saw extensive combat in several Arab-Israeli conflicts, while Iran used its large fleet of Phantoms in the Iran-Iraq War. Phantoms remain in front line service with seven countries, and in use as an unmanned target in the U.S. Air Force.
Phantom production ran from 1958 to 1981, with a total of 5,195 built. This extensive run makes it the second most-produced Western jet fighter, behind the famous F-86 Sabre at just under 10,000 examples.
The F-4 Phantom was designed as a fleet defense fighter for the U.S. Navy, and first entered service in 1960. By 1963, it had been adopted by the U.S. Air Force for the fighter-bomber role. When production ended in 1981, 5,195 Phantom IIs had been built, making it the most numerous American supersonic military aircraft. Until the advent of the F-15 Eagle, the F-4 also held a record for the longest continuous production for a fighter with a run of 24 years. Innovations in the F-4 included an advanced pulse-doppler radar and extensive use of titanium in its airframe.
Despite the imposing dimensions and a maximum takeoff weight of over 60,000 pounds (27,000 kg), the F-4 had a top speed of Mach 2.23 and an initial climb of over 41,000 ft per minute (210 m/s). Shortly after its introduction, the Phantom set 15 world records, including an absolute speed record of 1,606.342 mph (2,585.086 km/h), and an absolute altitude record of 98,557 ft (30,040 m). Although set in 1959-1962, five of the speed records were not broken until 1975 when the F-15 Eagle came into service.
The F-4 could carry up to 18,650 pounds (8,480 kg) of weapons on nine external hardpoints, including air-to-air and air-to-ground missiles, and unguided, guided, and nuclear bombs. Since the F-8 Crusader was to be used for close combat, the F-4 was designed, like other interceptors of the day, without an internal cannon. In a dogfight, the RIO or WSO (commonly called "backseater" or "pitter") assisted in spotting opposing fighters, visually as well as on radar. It became the primary fighter-bomber of both the Navy and Air Force by the end of the Vietnam War.
Due to its distinctive appearance and widespread service with United States military and its allies, the F-4 is one of the best-known icons of the Cold War. It served in the Vietnam War and Arab-Israeli conflicts, with American F-4 crews achieving 277 aerial victories in Southeast Asia and completing countless ground attack sorties.
Pictured here is a gorgeous 1:72 scale diecast replica of a US Navy F-4N Phantom II fighter-bomber that was operated by VF-161 "Chargers", then embarked upon the CVW-5, USS Midway, during 1977.
Release Date: February 2012
Historical Account: "Redeployment" - The Chargers transitioned to the McDonnell Douglas F-4B Phantom II and transferred to CVW-15 for their first combat deployment since recommissioning onboard the USS Constellation on May 12th, 1966, and returned December 3rd, 1966. During this deployment VF-161 flew 1368 combat sorties. For this action the squadron was awarded the Navy Unit Commendation medal. On July 1st, 1966, VF-161 F4-B's on Ready Five aboard the Connie were the first to meet three North Vietnamese Torpedo Boats which came out to attack The USS Coontz ( DLG 9 ) and The USS Rogers ( DD 876 ) operating about 40 miles off shore on search and rescue missions. Between June 1967 and April 1969, the Chargers deployed to Vietnam for their second and third combat tours aboard the USS Coral Sea for a total of 3209 combat sorties.
On February 1st, 1971, the squadron was attached to CVW-5 and the USS Midway. In March 1971, the squadron returned to duty for its fifth combat deployment and flew 1168 combat sorties. The Chargers left for its sixth SEA deployment in April of 1972, again on the USS Midway. During combat operations the squadron downed five enemy MiG aircraft, flew 2322 sorties, and was on the line for 205 days. The squadron returned on March 3rd, 1973, to commence turnaround training.