Falcon Models FA728004 USAF Grumman F-11F-1 Tiger Fighter - VA-156 "Iron Tigers", 1958 (1:72 Scale)
"My God, we simply have to figure a way out of this situation. There's no point in talking about 'winning' a nuclear war."
- President Dwight D. Eisenhower
The Grumman F11F/F-11 Tiger was the first supersonic, single-seat carrier-based United States Navy fighter aircraft in operation during the 1950s and 1960s. Originally designated the F11F Tiger in April 1955 under the pre-1962 Navy designation system, it was redesignated as F-11 Tiger under the 1962 United States Tri-Service aircraft designation system.
The F11F/F-11 was used by the Blue Angels flight team from 1957 to 1969. Grumman Aircraft Corporation made about 200 Tigers, with the last aircraft being delivered to the U.S. Navy on 23 January 1959.
The F11F (F-11) Tiger origins can be traced back to a privately funded 1952 Grumman concept to modernize the F9F-6/7 Cougar by implementing the area rule and other advances. This Grumman company project was known as the G-98, and when it was concluded it was a complete design departure from the Cougar.
The design's potential for supersonic performance and reduced transonic drag stirred interest in the U.S. Navy. By 1953, redesigns led to a completely new aircraft bearing no more than a familial resemblance to the Cougar. The new wing had full-span leading edge slats and trailing edge flap with roll control achieved using spoilers rather than traditional ailerons. For storage on aircraft carriers, the F-11 Tiger's wings manually folded downwards. Anticipating supersonic performance, the tailplane was all-moving. The aircraft was designed for the Wright J65 turbojet, a license-built version of the Armstrong Siddeley Sapphire.
Pictured here is a 1:72 scale replica of a USAF Grumman F-11F-1 Tiger Jet that was attached to VF-156 "Iron Tigers", during 1958. Now in stock!
Wingspan: 6.25 inches
Length: 6.75 inches
Release Date: May 2014
Historical Account: "Iron Tigers" - The second squadron to be called Sundowners started as Attack Squadron 156 (VA-156). VA-156, originally known as the Iron Tigers, was established on June 4th, 1956, and flew the F11F-1 Tiger. VA-156 was assigned to CVW-11 and made a single deployment aboard USS Shangri-La (CVA-38) to the Western Pacific. The day after the disestablishment of the first VF-111, VA-156 assumed VF-111's designation and nickname on January 20th, 1959.