Hobby Master HA3104 USAF Convair F-102A Delta Dagger Interceptor - 525th Fighter Interceptor Squadron "The Fighting Bulldogs," RAF Wethersfield, 1961 (1:72 Scale)
"The Ultimate Interceptor."
- DoD reference to the newly developed production version of the F-102 Delta Dagger
The Convair F-102 Delta Dagger was a US interceptor aircraft built as part of the backbone of the United States Air Force's air defenses in the late 1950s. Entering service in 1956, its main purpose was to intercept invading Soviet bomber fleets.
The F-102 was the first operational supersonic interceptor and delta-wing fighter of the USAF. It used an internal weapons bay to carry both guided missiles and rockets. As originally designed, it could not achieve Mach 1 supersonic flight until redesigned with area ruling. The F-102 replaced subsonic types such as the F-89 Scorpion, and by the 1960s, it saw limited service in Vietnam in bomber escort and ground attack roles. It was supplemented by F-101 Voodoos and, later, by F-4 Phantom IIs. Many of the F-102s were transferred to United States Air National Guard duty by the mid-to-late 1960s, and the type was retired from operational service in 1976. The follow-on replacement was the Mach 2 class F-106 Delta Dart which was an extensive redesign of the F-102.
Pictured here is a 1:72 scale rendition of a USAF Convair F-102A Delta Dagger Interceptor that was attached to the 525th FIS "The Fighting Bulldogs," then deployed to RAF Wethersfield, England, during1961. Now in stock!
Wingspan: 6.25 inches
Release Date: June 2011
Historical Account: "A Dog Eat Dog World" - The 525th Fighter Squadron (525 FS) is part of the 3d Wing at Elmendorf Air Force Base, Alaska. It operates the F-22 Raptor aircraft conducting air superiority missions.
The 525th received its first F-102 Delta Dagger in February 1959 and was selected to represent the U.S. Air Forces in Europe (USAFE) at the 1959 William Tell competition. Although new to their aircraft, the 525th took the lead in the competition and held it until the last event when they were nosed out by a few points.
In 1965, 1967, and 1971 the 525th was chosen as the Sector III representative to the NATO Air Superiority Competitions. In each competition, the squadron made an outstanding showing, winning the Guynemeyer Trophy for the best sector performance in 1971.
The 525th officially became part of the 36th Tactical Fighter Wing on November 1st, 1968. On October 1st, 1969, the squadron was redesignated the 525th Tactical Fighter Squadron. Still maintaining two aircraft on 24-hour air defense alert status, the 525th's new mission now included close air support and limited nuclear air-to-ground delivery. Additionally, on November 16th, 1969, the 525th became the first squadron in Germany to fly the F-4E Phantom II. The 525th was subsequently nominated by USAFE for the Hughes Trophy in 1969.