No other aircraft of WWII could fly as high, go as far, or fight as hard as the famed Mustang. Piloted by a record 281 Aces, this agile and ferocious dogfighter tallied more kills than any other Allied airplane. As the bombers of the Eighth Air Force fought their way deep into Hitler's Germany, it was the Mustang that cleared the skies of Luftwaffe fighters. The powerful Rolls-Royce Merlin engine gave the Mustang a speed of 445 mph. Re-styled with an aerodynamic bubble canopy for greater visibility, and outfitted with 6 fast-firing .50 caliber machine guns, the P-51 became the best fighter of the war.
Pictured here is a 1:35 scale diecast replica of a US North American P-51D Mustang fighter, nicknamed "Big Beautiful Doll", which was piloted by Colonel John D. Landers. Features fully functional landing gear, flaps, rudder, ailerons, radiator exhaust and bypass doors. Canopy slides back and forth. Includes opening wing gun access doors, removable engine cowling to expose highly detailed Merlin V12 Engine, and external drop tanks or 500 lb. bombs. Bonus 96 pg. book included with purchase -- "Mustang Aces of the Ninth & Fifteenth Air Forces & the RAF" by Jerry Scutts. This book features numerous stories on the men and their mustangs during the war with rare photos. Sold Out!
Wingspan: 11 inches
Length: 12.5 inches
Release Date: March 2007
Historical Account: "The Yoxford Boys" - The 357th Fighter Group was an air combat unit of the United States Army Air Forces during the Second World War. The 357th operated P-51 Mustang aircraft as part of the U.S. Eighth Air Force and its members were known unofficially as "The Yoxford Boys" after a village near their base. (Group tradition holds that the name was the invention of Lord Haw Haw in a broadcast greeting the night of its arrival at RAF Leiston.) Its victory totals in air-to-air combat are the most of any P-51 group in the Eighth Air Force and third among all groups fighting in Europe.
The 357th flew 313 combat missions between February 11th, 1944, and April 26th, 1945. It is officially credited by the U.S. Air Force with having destroyed 595.5 German airplanes in the air and 106.5 on the ground. The 357th existed as a USAAF unit only during World War II and its immediate aftermath. Its history, lineage and honors were bestowed on an Ohio Air National Guard group, but the Ohio ANG considers itself a direct descendant of the 357th FG.