Dragon DRW50210 USAAF P-47D-30 Thunderbolt Fighter - Col. Joseph L. Laughlin, "Five by Five", 379th Fighter Squadron, 362nd Fighter Group, Germany, 1945 (1:72 Scale)
"Why should we have a navy at all? There are no enemies for it to fight except apparently the Army Air Force."
- General Carl Spaatz, Commander of the US 8th Army Air Force, after WWII
Nicknamed the "Jug", the P-47D was one of the most important, widely produced fighter of the American Air Force during the WWII. Although the P-47D was the largest and heaviest single-seat aircraft to see service in the Second World War, it became a high speed and high altitude capable fighter when powered by the huge 2000hp Pratt & Whitney R-2800 "Double Wasp" engine and a unique supercharging system. Shaped with a sharp upper ridge, the early types of P-47D were given a name "Razorback". During the war, the Razorbacks served as striking fighters and sometimes escort fighters of the allied bombers when conducting raids over Germany.
Pictured here is a 1:72 scale replica of a P-47D Razorback flown by Col. Joseph L. Laughlin of the 362nd Fighter Group, and nicknamed "Five by Five". Sold Out!
Wingspan: 5 inches
Length: 5 inches
Release Date: April 2006
Historical Account: "Pink Elephant" - Joseph L. Laughlin was commissioned a 2/Lt. and received his wings in the USAAC, at Kelly Field, Texas, on June 1940.
He was posted to the 14th Pursuit Squadron in September 1940, which was based at Wheeler Field near Pearl Harbor, Hawaii.
Following the attack on Pearl Harbor, Laughlin flew 350 plus operational hours against the Japanese concluding his tour as C.O. of the 45th FS/18th FG. He returned to the USA and assumed command of the newly formed 379th FS/362nd FG. In Europe, Laughlin continued as C.O. of the 379th FS and later became C.O. of the entire 362nd FG/IX FC under XIX TAC supporting Gen. George S. Patton's Third Army thrust into Germany.
Returning to the USA in September 1945, Laughlin commanded the 362nd FG at Biggs Field, Texas and the 20th FG at Shaw Field, South Carolina. He entered Air Command & Staff School at Maxwell Field, Alabama, in September 1947, graduating in June 1948. He then served with the 10th Air Force, located at Selfridge AFB, Mich. as Chief ANG Division and later as Director of Operations and Training.