Hobby Master HG4208 US Willys Jeep - 814th Tank Destroyer Battalion, 7th Armored Division, Belgium, 1945 (1:72 Scale)
"In war there is no second prize for the runner-up."
- General Omar Bradley
Developed by the Quartermaster Corps, the jeep and other motor transport vehicles were transferred to the Ordnance Department in August 1942. Despite its lightweight, the jeep could perform a variety of functions, including towing a 37mm antitank gun over a 7% grade. Unencumbered, the jeep could climb a 60% grade, and was capable of attaining speeds in excess of 60-mph on a level highway. It could ford a stream 18-inches deep, even when fully equipped and loaded. It had a cruising range of approximately 300 miles on 15 gallons of gasoline. Operated by a crew of two, the jeep had a space in the rear for equipment or additional personnel.
Pictured here is a 1:72 scale replica of a US Willys Jeep that was attached to the 814th Tank Destroyer Battalion, 7th Armored Division, then deployed to Belgium during 1945. Sold Out!
Length: 2.5 inches
Width: 1.25 inches
Release Date: June 2011
Historical Account: "Let Thine Eyes Guide You" - The 7th Armored Division was activated on March 1st, 1942, and arrived in the United Kingdom in January 1944. It landed on Omaha and Utah Beaches between August 13th-14th, 1944, and immediately drove through Nogent-le-Rotrou to assault Chartres, which fell on August 18th. From Chartres, the Division advanced to capture Dreux, Melun, and Chateau-Thierry, crossed the Seine River on August 24th, and pushed on to take Verdun on the 31st. The 7th halted briefly for refueling and then drove on toward the Moselle near Dornot. The Division was repulsed in its attacks across the Seille River.
The unit was then shifted to the Netherlands, where on October 8th it joined in defensive operations protecting the British-Canadian drive to clear the northern and western approaches to Antwerp. After resting during November, the Division returned to the front near Linnich, Germany, on the banks of the Roer. It was preparing to drive into Germany when the Ardennes offensive began on December 16th, 1944. The Division was ordered to St. Vith where it absorbed much of the weight of the German drive and was forced to withdraw west of the Salm River on the 23rd. It shifted to Manhay, Belgium, and by the end of December had cleared the town of the enemy.
After a brief rest in January 1945, the Division returned to positions near St. Vith, where it attacked and captured the town. February and part of March were spent in rest and rehabilitation. Later in March, the Division held defensive positions along the west bank of the Rhine, south of Bonn to Unkelbach. The 7th returned to the offensive on the 26th, breaking out of the Remagen bridgehead, and taking part in the reduction of the Ruhr Pocket. On April 16th, the LIII Panzer Corps surrendered to the Division and the eastern sector of the pocket collapsed. The Division then cut across the Elbe and swept north into Mecklenburg, effecting a junction with the Russians as the war in Europe ended.
The unit was deactivated on October 9th, 1945, thus ending its short but illustrious career.