Dragon DRA60293 US M4A1(76)W Sherman Medium Tank - "Elowee", 2nd Armored Division, France, 1944 (1:72 Scale)
"The only way you can win a war is to attack and keep on attacking, and after you have done that, keep attacking some more."
- General George S. Patton Jr., January 1945
The M4 Sherman medium tank was regarded by many as the workhorse of the US Army during World War II. In fact, virtually all of the Allied armies employed the Sherman in their armed forces, including the British, who developed an upgunned variant called the "Firefly". Eleven different US plants manufactured six basic models of the Sherman, and by June 1944 over 49,234 battle-ready vehicles had been produced. While it was no match for the German Panther or Tiger tanks, the Sherman soldiered on, using its weight in numbers to wrest control of Europe from the Wehrmacht.
Early Shermans mounted a 75mm medium-velocity general-purpose gun. Later M4A1, M4A2, and M4A3 models received the larger T23 turret with a high-velocity 76mm gun M1, which traded reduced HE and smoke performance for improved anti-tank performance. The British offered the QF 17 pounder (76.2 mm) anti-tank gun with its significant armour penetration but a significant initial (later rectified) HE shortcoming to the Americans but the US Ordnance Department was working on a 90mm tank gun and declined. Later M4 and M4A3 were factory-produced with a 105mm howitzer and a new distinctive mantlet in the original turret. The first standard-production 76mm-gun Sherman was an M4A1 accepted in January 1944 and the first standard-production 105mm-howitzer Sherman was an M4 accepted in February 1944.
The Sherman was the mainstay of the Allied armored units, with over 40,000 produced from 1942 onwards. The ubiquitous Sherman was to be found in the ranks of every Allied army in WWII and on every front. One of the most easily distinguishable variants was the M4A1, which utilized a cast hull rather than the welded hull of the others. Later a 76mm gun was introduced to give the tank more lethality against heavily armored German opponents, but this required installation of a new turret big enough to carry the gun. When combined together - the M4A1(76)W was conceived. Sold Out!
Length: 3.25 inches
Width: 1.5 inches
Release Date: June 2007
Historical Account: "Blackjack" - On June 9th, 1944 (D+3), the 2nd Armored Division rolled ashore at Omaha beach. On June 11th, 1944, Combat Command A of the 2nd Armored Division was sent to support elements of the 101st Airborne Division and the 29th Reconnaissance company who had secured a bridge head over the Vire river at Auville-sur-la-Vey. That bridgehead helped secure the beachhead for V Corps. As V Corps began its next phase of operations, the capture of Caumont, the 2nd Armored Division moved into the Ready Reserve for the assault. Over the next few days, elements of the 2nd Armored Division were dispatched to support various Infantry units as the Allied forces met stiff resistance. Combat Command A was again assigned to support the 101st Airborne Division this time in the attack on Carentan. On June 13th, 1944 the coordinated attack had not only secured the town of Carentan, but had driven the defenders over 2 miles from the town. Their attack prevented an enemy counter-attack which might have split the link between the invading Corps. Now that Carentan was secured, the allied forces were able to enlarge the corridor of communications between Isigny and Carentan.
Over the course of the next year, the 2nd Armored Division continued to support the advancing infantry divisions. The 2nd Armored Division is credited with ensuring success in Northern France, the Ardennes Forest, and helped close the northernt pincer in the Ruhr pocket. When the war ended in 1945, the 2nd Armored Division stood on the banks of the Elbe river at Madgeburg, ready to cross. After V-E day, the 2nd Armored Division reported to Drutte for occupation duty. They were relieved and returned home to Fort Hood Texas in January of 1946.