Corgi HC51018 US M4 Sherman Medium Tank - Team O'Hara, Combat Command B, 10th Armored Division, Battle of the Bulge, 1944 (1:50 Scale)
"The only way you can win a war is to attack and keep on attacking, and after you have done that, keep attacking some more."
- General George S. Patton Jr., January 1945
By all accounts, the M4 Sherman medium tank was regarded as the workhorse of the US Army during World War II. In fact, virtually all of the Allied armies employed the Sherman in their armed forces, including the British, who developed an upgunned variant called the "Firefly". Eleven different US plants manufactured six basic models of the Sherman, and by June 1944 over 49,234 battle-ready vehicles had been produced. While it was no match for the German Panther or Tiger tanks, the Sherman soldiered on, using its weight in numbers to wrest control of Europe from the Wehrmacht.
This particular 1:50 scale replica of a M4A3 Sherman medium tank was attached to Team O'Hara, Combat Command B, 10th Armored Division during the Battle of the Bulge. Sold Out!
Length: 4.5 inches
Width: 2 inches
Release Date: October 2004
Historical Account: The 10th Armored ("Tiger") Division was activated at Fort Benning, Georgia on July 15th, 1942 and departed in June of the following year to participate in the Tennessee maneuvers. The 10th Armored Division entered combat near Mars La Tour, France, on November 2nd, 1944 and, on the 15th, joined in the fight to reduce the fortress city of Metz.
Crossing the Moselle to the north in a wide encircling sweep, it attacked northeast and southeast in a two-pronged drive, reached the Saar River, and on November 19th, crossed into Germany at Eft. When the Ardennes offensive was launched, it rushed north to help stem the German tide, and, while CCB blocked the northern and eastern approaches to Bastogne by organizing defenses at Noville, Longvilly and Bras, and joined the 101st Airborne Division later in holding Bastogne, the remainder of the 10th Armored "Tigers" rammed into the enemy along the southern hinge of the Bulge in the vicinity of Berdorf and Echternach.
Following a rest after the Bulge, the Division returned to the front on February 20th, 1945, and helped to clear the Saar-Moselle Triangle. It then swung north and captured the historic city of Trier on 2 March, after which, on the 20th, took Landau on the 22nd, and reached the Rhine that same day. It crossed the river at Worms on the 28th, passed through the 44th Infantry Division at Mannheim on the 30th, and on the 31st, drove into Heidelberg which had been declared an open city.
Racing east to Assamstadt and bypassing Heilbronn enroute, it veered south and seized Crailsheim on April 7th. Isolated at this location deep in the enemy's rear and faced with daily increasing pressure and mounting casualties, it withdrew a short distance to the north on the 11th, then attacked back to the west, seizing Ohringen on April 13th. Launching a new drive to the south at this point, in rapid order it captured Schwabisch Hall on the 18th, Gaildorf on the 19th, Kercheim on the 20th, and reached the Danube at Ehingen on the 22nd. It then swung east toward Ulm, taking the cathedral city on the 25th. At Ulm, it turned south once more and, attacking into the rugged Alps on two parallel routes, it had reached Mittenwald on one route and had captured Imst in Austria after crossing the border at Fussen on the other when the war ended.