The Collectors Showcase CS00585 US 2nd Infantry Division Series - Two Man Machine Gun Team (1:30 Scale)
"Second to None."
- Motto of the 2nd Infantry Division
After training in Northern Ireland and Wales from October 1943 to June 1944, the 2nd Infantry Division crossed the channel to land on Omaha Beach on D plus 1, June 7th, 1944, near St. Laurent-sur-Mer. Attacking across the Aure River, the Division liberated Trvires on June 10th, and proceeded to assault and secure Hill 192 which was repelled the key enemy strongpoint on the road to Saint-Lo. After three weeks of fortifying the position and by order of Commanding General Walter M. Robertson the order was given to take HILL 192. On July 11th, under command of Col. Ralph W.Zwicker 38th INF with the 9th and the 23rd by his side the battle started at 5:45 am. Using an artillery concept used in World War I (Rolling Thunder) which was the only time during World War II it was used and after 25,000 rounds of HE/WP the hill was taken. The division went on the defensive until the 26th. July. After exploiting the Saint-Lo breakout, the 2nd Division then advanced across the (Vire) to take (Tinhebray) on August 15th, 1944. The division then raced toward (Brest/France), the heavily defended port fortress which happened to be a major port for German U-Boats. After 39 days of fighting the battle was won, and was the first place the Army Air Corps used bunker busting bombs.
The division took a brief rest 1926 September before moving to defensive positions at St. Vith, Belgium on September 29th, 1944. The division entered Germany on October 3rd, 1944, and the Second was ordered, on December 11th, 1944, to attack and seize the Roer River dams. The German Ardennes offensive in mid-December forced the division to withdraw to defensive positions near Elsenborn Ridge, where the German drive was halted. In February 1945 the division attacked, recapturing lost ground, and seized Gemund on March 4th. Reaching the Rhine on March 9th, the 2ID advanced south to take Breisig, March 10th-11th, and to guard the Remagen bridge, March 12th - March 20th.
The division crossed the Rhine on March 21st and advanced to Hadamar and Limburg an der Lahn, relieving elements of the 9th Armored Division on March 28th. Advancing rapidly in the wake of the 9th Armored, the 2nd Infantry Division crossed the Weser at Veckerhagen, April 6th-7th, captured Gttingen on April 8th, established a bridgehead across the Saale, on April 14th, seizing Merseburg on April 15th. On April 18th, the division took Leipzig, mopped up in the area, and outposted the Mulde River; elements which had crossed the river were withdrawn on April 24th. Relieved on the Mulde, the 2nd moved 200 miles on May 13th, to positions along the German-Czech border near Schonsee and Waldmnchen, where 2 ID relieved the 97th and 99th ID's. The division crossed over to Czechoslovakia on May 4th, 1945, and attacked in the general direction of Pilsen, attacking that city on VE Day.
2nd Infantry Division returned to the New York Port Of Embarkation on July 20th, 1945, and arrived at Camp Swift at Bastrop, Texas on July 22nd, 1945. They started a training schedule to prepare them to participate in the scheduled invasion of Japan, but they were still at Camp Swift on VJ Day. They then moved to the staging area at Camp Stoneman at Pittsburg, California on March 28th, 1946, but the move eastward was canceled, and they received orders to move to Fort Lewis at Tacoma, Washington. They arrived at Fort Lewis on April 15th, 1946, which became their home station. From their Fort Lewis base, they conducted Arctic, air transportability, amphibious, and maneuver training.
This set consists of a pair of 1:30 scale US soldiers manning a machine gun from the 2nd Infantry Division. Sold Out!
Height: 2-1/2 inches
Release Date: February 2013