Armour Collection B11E120 Limited Edition Spanish Air Force Junkers Ju 52-3m Tri-Motor Troop Transport (1:48 Scale)
"Guns before butter. Guns will make us powerful; butter will only make us fat."
- Reichsmarschall Hermann Goering, Head of the German Luftwaffe
Like the USAF C-47, the Junkers Ju 52 tri-motor was first built in the 1930s and remained in service for more than a quarter century. It made its maiden flight in April 1931, and three years later a heavy bomber variant entered service with the German Luftwaffe. The latter version formed the nucleus of the Luftwaffe's early bomber force, which was used with great effect during the Spanish Civil War.
By 1939, the Ju 52 was obsolete as a bomber, but because of its durability, simplicity of design, and handling characteristics, it continued to serve throughout WW II as a versatile workhorse for the German transport fleet. Adolf Hitler even used a Ju 52 as his private transport. Ju 52s delivered the attacking forces and their supplies during the German invasion of Norway, Denmark, France, and the Low Countries in 1940. Later on, approximately 500 Ju 52s participated in the historic airborne assault on the island of Crete in May 1941 and later supplied Rommel's panzerwaffe operating in North Africa.
This particular 1:48 scale replica of a Junkers Ju-52 troop transport was flown by the Spanish Air Force immediately after WWII. Only 480 pieces produced. Sold Out!
Length: 15.5 inches
Wingspan: 22 inches
Release Date: December 2006
Historical Account: "The Reign in Spain" - Although in sheer numbers the Ejército del Aire (EdA) was impressive, at the end of WWII technically it had become more or less obsolete due to the progress in aviation technology during the war. For budget reasons Spain actually kept many of the old German aircraft operative well into the 1950´s and 1960s. As an example the last Junkers Ju-52, nicknamed Pava, used to operate in Escuadrón 721 training parachutists from Alcantarilla Air Base near Murcia, until well into the 1970s. The CASA 352 and the CASA 352L were developments built by CASA in the 1950s. On March 18th, 1946, the first Spanish paratroop unit was created. It participated in the Ifni War during 1957 and 1958. Because of the US Government prohibition to use airplanes manufactured in the USA in her colonial struggles after World War II, Spain continued to use old German aircraft. In these campaign many older German aircraft still saw service such as the Junkers 52, the Heinkel 111 (nicknamed "Pedro"), and others. This is why still now in present times, EdA maintains a policy of having jet fighters from two different origins, one first line fighter of North American origin, and one from French-European origin( F-4C Phantom / Mirage F1, Mirage III; EF-18A / Eurofighter Typhoon).
Links were established in the 1950s with the United States. Spain received its first jets, like the F-86 Sabre and Lockheed T-33 together with training and transport planes like the T-6 Texan, DC-3 and DC-4. This first age of jets was replaced in the 1960s by newer fighters like the F-104 Starfighter, F-4C Phantom and F-5 Freedom Fighter.