Gaso.Line GAS50080MH Russian T-70 Light Tank - Winter Camouflage (1:50 Scale)
"By powerful artillery fire, air strikes, and a wave of attacking tanks, we're supposed to swiftly crush the enemy."
- Marshal Georgi K. Zhukov
In early 1942, the Russian Army realized that the T-60/T-60A light tanks were too lightly armored and insufficiently armed to deal with some of the newer German tank models. Soon thereafter, the new T-70 tank entered service, built at the Gorki Autmobile Works. Using the same chassis as the T-60 tank, but with a slightly reinforced front drive to handle the extra weight, the T-70 tank mounted a redesigned and welded turret, which was equipped with a 45mm gun and a coaxial 7.62mm DT machine gun. The new turret had a semi-circular hatch in the turret roof, and a curved external mantlet with a sleeve for the gun. An effort was made to give the tank a cleaner outline and better protection, so the hull armor was modified, and the driver was provided with an armored visor. Compared with the T-60, the new T-70 had a more robust powerplant, employing two Soviet 110hp Hudson straight-eight car engines. Twin exhaust pipes were also attached on either side at the rear of the hull. The tracks had twin guide-horns on each track plate, and the T-70 could attain a maximum speed of 32mph. A lipped air-intake was welded below the turret on the right side of the hull, and an engine-servicing hatch was fitted on the right side of the glacis plate.
The T-70M appeared in the summer of 1943, which featured increased armor and slightly more powerful engines. The turret had a squared off rear, compared with the more rounded type originally designed for the T-70, and had welded strengtheners along the joints. Despite the improvements, production of T-70 series ceased in late 1943, in large part due to its poor combat record. Its main shortcoming was that the commander had to double as both the loader and gunner, which reduced the rate at which the tank could engage the enemy. Nevertheless, a total of 8,226 T-70s of all types were built between March 1942 and October 1943. During 1944, many T-70 chassis were converted to self-propelled guns by mounting 45mm anti-tank guns, captured Czech 47mm anti-tank guns, and later for the newer 57mm and 76.2mm anti-tank guns. Towards the end of the war, many T-70 tanks were issued to the 1st Polish Tank Brigade. Vehicle comes in a winter camouflage scheme. Sold Out!