Corgi US51603 Russian T-34/76D Medium Tank - 30th Guards Tank Brigade, Krasnoye Selo, Leningrad, January 1944 (1:50 Scale)
"By powerful artillery fire, air strikes, and a wave of attacking tanks, we're supposed to swiftly crush the enemy."
- Marshal Georgi K. Zhukov
The first generation T-34 medium tank made its debut in combat during the summer of 1941, when the Wehrmacht launched its invasion of the Soviet Union. The T-34 easily outclassed the German PzKpfw III and IV models, thanks to its hard-hitting 76.2mm main gun, thick frontal armor, wide tracks, and overall superior mobility. The first T-34s were assembled at Kharkov, Leningrad, and Stalingrad, then moved behind the Ural mountains when the German advance encircled Leningrad, overran Kharkov, and invested the "City of Stalin". Legend has it that some T-34s rolled off the Stalingrad assembly line unpainted and even unfinished to prevent the Nazi invaders from capturing the city. Pictued here is a Russian 1943 production T-34/76D medium tank painted in a stunning winter camouflage. This particular tank was attached to the Soviet's 30th Guards Tank Brigade.
This 1:50 scale replica of a T-34 has the Order of the Red Banner painted on the side of the turret and was one of the first tanks to enter Krasnoye Selo, near Leningrad, in January 1944. Sold Out!
Length: 4.75 inches
Width: 2.5 inches
Release Date: September 2005
Historical Account: "Operation Iskra" - The encirclement of Leningrad was broken in the wake of Operation Iskra - (English: Operation Spark) - a full-scale offensive conducted by the Leningrad and Volkhov Fronts. This offensive started in the morning of January 12th, 1943. After fierce battles the Red Army units overcame the powerful German fortifications to the south of Lake Ladoga, and on January 18, 1943 the Leningrad and Volkhov Fronts met, opening a 10-12km wide land corridor, which could provide some relief to the besieged population of Leningrad.
The siege continued until January 27th, 1944, when the Soviet Leningrad-Novgorod Strategic Offensive expelled German forces from the southern outskirts of the city. This was a combined effort by the Leningrad and Volkhov Fronts, along with the 1st and 2nd Baltic Fronts. The Baltic Fleet provided 30% of aviation power for the final strike against the Wehrmacht. In the summer of 1944, the Finns were pushed back to the other side of the Bay of Vyborg and the Vuoksi River.