Eaglemoss EMR0017 Russian Su-122 Assault Gun (1:72 Scale)
"By powerful artillery fire, air strikes, and a wave of attacking tanks, we're supposed to swiftly crush the enemy."
- Marshal Georgi K. Zhukov
The Su-122 was an assault gun which used the hull of the T-34 tank and was the result of an April 1942 specification for assault guns aimed with guns of 122mm caliber or higher. The Su-122 was designed by the Uralsky Machine Building factory (UZTM). The first production SU-122s were built at the end of 1942, with a total of 25 vehicles being built.
The Su-122 did reasonably well in combat against the Wehrmacht, although the high explosive antitank (HEAT) round developed for its gun didn't perform up to expectations. Production continued from 1942 until the summer of 1944, with a total of roughly 1,150 vehicles built. Eventually, the Su-152 replaced most of the Su-122s still in service.
Pictured here is a 1:72 scale replica of a Russian Su-122 assault gun.
Now in stock!
Length: 3.5 inches
Width: 1.5 inches
Release Date: May 2014
Historical Account: "Tankograd" - Fortress Chelyaba, from which the city takes its name, was constructed on the site in 1736; the city was incorporated in 1781. Around 1900, it served as a center for the construction of the Trans-Siberian Railway.
During the Soviet industrialization of the 1930s, Chelyabinsk experienced a fast growth. Several industrial establishments, including the Chelyabinsk Tractor Plant and the Chelyabinsk Metallurgical Plant, were built at this time. During World War II, Joseph Stalin decided to move a large part of Soviet factory production to places out of the way of the advancing German armies in late 1941. This brought new industries and thousands of workers to Chelyabinsk—still essentially a small city. Several enormous facilities for the production of T-34 tanks and Katyusha rocket launchers existed in Chelyabinsk, which became known as "Tankograd" (Tank City). Chelyabinsk was built essentially from scratch at this time. A small town existed before this, signs of which can be found in the centre of the city. The S.M. Kirov Factory no. 185 moved here from Leningrad to produce heavy tanks—it was transferred to Omsk after 1962.