Hobby Master HG3003 Russian Kliment Voroshilov KV-1B Heavy Tank - 124th Guards Tank Brigade, Leningrad, 1941 (1:72 Scale)
"By powerful artillery fire, air strikes, and a wave of attacking tanks, we're supposed to swiftly crush the enemy."
- Marshal Georgi K. Zhukov
Design on the KV-1 heavy tank began in 1938, with the intention that it should be the successor to the T-35 heavy tank. The first models of the KV-1 were field-tested during the Red Army's disastrous 1940 campaign in Finland. Despite the military setback, the KV-1 set the standard for Soviet tank design for several years to come, regularly used to spearhead breakthroughs or accompany infantry on the assault. While it was certainly a formidable vehicle, the KV-1 was not particularly mobile, routinely suffering from a number of automotive problems. It was also uparmored progressively without any concomittant changes made to the power plant, which resulted in a poor power-to-weight ratio and continual degradation in performance. Nevertheless, many historians view the KV series as an important achievement for the Russian military-industrial complex because it paved the way for more successful designs, including the "Josef Stalin" tanks.
This particular 1:72 scale KV-1B tank served with the 124th Guards Tank Brigade, then defending Leningrad in 1941. Sold Out!
Length: 3.5 inches
Width: 1.5 inches
Release Date: August 2007
Historical Account: "When the Ice Thaws" - On June 27th, 1941, five days after the Nazi invasion of the Soviet Union, the Council of deputies of the working people of Leningrad decided to mobilize thousands of people for the construction of fortifications. Several defenses were built. One of the fortifications ran from the mouth of the Luga River to Chudovo, Gatchina, Uritsk, Pulkovo and then through the Neva River. The other defence passed through Petergof to Gatchina, Pulkovo, Kolpino and Koltushy. Another defence against the Finns was built in the northern suburbs of Leningrad (Nevanlinna).
In all, 190km of timber blockages, 635km of wire entanglements, 700km of anti-tank ditches, 5,000 earth-and-timber emplacements and ferro-concrete weapon emplacements and 25,000 km of open trenches were built by civilians. Even the gun of the Russian cruiser Aurora was mounted on the Pulkovskiye Heights to the south of Leningrad.
Nevertheless, when Soviet troops of the North-Western Front were defeated in the Baltic Soviet Republics at the end of June, the Wehrmacht had forced its way to Ostrov and Pskov. On July 10th, both cities were captured and the Germans reached Kunda and Kingisepp whereupon they advanced to Leningrad from Iivananlinna, the Luzhski region and from the south-east and also to the north and south of the Lake Ilmen in order to isolate Leningrad from the east and to join the Finns at the eastern bank of Lake Ladoga. The shelling of Leningrad began on September 4th, and bombing on September 8th caused 178 fires. In early October, the Germans refused to assault the city and Hitler's directive on October 7th, and signed by Alfred Jodl, was a reminder not to accept a capitulation.