GAZ or Gorkovsky Avtomobilny Zavod, Nizhny Novgorod, translated as Gorky Automobile Plant, started in 1929 as NNAZ, a cooperation between Ford and the Soviet Union. The name changed when the city was renamed after Maxim Gorky. From 1935 to 1956, the official name was augmented with imeni Molotova (literally, named after Molotov).
The factory's first model was the medium-priced Ford Model A, sold as NAZ A at first, and Ford Model AA under GAZ AA marque. "A" production commenced in 1932 and lasted until 1936, during which time over 100,000 examples were built. Sold Out!