Falcon Models FA722018 RCAF Lockheed CT-133 Silver Star Trainer - 439 ("Sabre-Toothed Tiger") Combat Support Squadron, 3 Wing, Bagotville, Quebec, Canada (1:72 Scale)
"Where do we get such men?"
- Rear Admiral George Tarrant, from the feature film "The Bridges at Toko-Ri"
The Lockheed T-33 Shooting Star is an American-built jet trainer aircraft. It was produced by Lockheed and made its first flight in 1948, piloted by Tony LeVier. The T-33 was developed from the Lockheed P-80/F-80 starting as TP-80C/TF-80C in development, then designated T-33A. It was used by the U.S. Navy initially as TO-2 then TV-2, and after 1962, T-33B. Despite its vintage, the venerable T-33 still remains in service worldwide.
The T-33 (aka "T-Bird") was developed from the Lockheed P-80/F-80 by lengthening the fuselage by slightly over three feet and adding a second seat, instrumentation and flight controls. It was initially designated as a variant of the P-80/F-80, the TP-80C/TF-80C.
Design work for the Lockheed P-80 began in 1943 with the first flight on 8 January 1944. Following on the Bell P-59, the P-80 became the first jet fighter to enter full squadron service in the United States Army Air Forces. As more advanced jets entered service, the F-80 took on another role - training jet pilots. The two-place T-33 jet was designed for training pilots already qualified to fly propeller-driven aircraft.
Originally designated the TF-80C, the T-33 made its first flight on 22 March 1948 with US production taking place from 1948 to 1959. The US Navy used the T-33 as a land-based trainer starting in 1949. It was designated the TV-2, but was redesignated the T-33B in 1962. The Navy operated some ex-USAF P-80Cs as the TO-1, changed to the TV-1 about a year later. A carrier-capable version of the P-80/T-33 family was subsequently developed by Lockheed, eventually leading to the late 1950s to 1970s T2V-1/T-1A SeaStar. A total of 6,557 Shooting Stars were produced, 5,691 by Lockheed.
Pictured here is a 1:72 scale replica of a RCAF Lockheed CT-133 Silver Star aircraft that was attached to 439 ("Sabre-Toothed Tiger") Combat Support Squadron 3 Wing, then deployed to Bagotville, Quebec.
Now in stock!
Wingspan: 6-1/2 inches
Length: 6 inches
Release Date: July 2013
Historical Account: "Sabre Toothed Tiger" - No. 439 Squadron RCAF was a unit of the Royal Canadian Air Force, formed during World War II.
No. 123 (Army Co-operation) Squadron was formed on January 15th, 1942, and flew army training operations in Ontario and Nova Scotia. It was renumbered No. 439 (Fighter Bomber) Squadron on December 31st, 1943, when it transferred to Wellingore, England and spent the war in England, France, Belgium, The Netherlands and Germany.
They disbanded at Flensburg, Germany, on August 26th, 1945. They reformed at Royal Canadian Air Force (RCAF) Station Uplands (CFB Uplands) on September 1st, 1951, and went to 1 Wing North Luffenham on May 4th, 1952, they then moved to 1 Wing Marville, France, on April 1st, 1955. They were deactivated between November 30th, 1963, and February 28th, 1964, and reactivated on March 1st, 1964, as 439 Strike/Attack Squadron. They moved with 3 Wing to Lahr, Germany, on April 1st, 1967, then to CFB Baden-Soellingen, Germany, in 1971 as 439 Tactical Fighter Squadron. The squadron disbanded in November 1984 and reformed in November 1985 with the CF-18. They were disbanded at Baden-Soellingen on May 15th, 1993, and reactivated shortly after at 3 Wing Bagotville as 439 Combat Support Squadron. The squadron is now equipped with the CH-146 Griffon.