Corgi AA36802 RAF Westland Lysander Mk. II Reconnaissance Aircraft - L6877/JV-W, No. 6 Squadron, Palestine, 1940 (1:72 Scale)
"Never in the field of human conflict was so much owed by so many to so few."
- British Prime Minister Winston Churchill, commenting on the British airmen in the Battle of Britain
The Lysander is a two-seat reconnaissance and artillery spotting monoplane defined by Specification A 39/34 in response to Operational Requirement OR. 18. Three squadrons of Mk. Is and three of Mk. Us equipped during 1938/39 moved to France with BEF in 1939; about 50 Westland Lysanders were shot down and 30 destroyed on the ground in May 1940.
This particular 1:72 scale replica of a Lysander was attached to No. 6 Squadron, when it was deployed to Palestine in 1940. Sold Out!
Wingspan: 8.25 inches
Length: 5.25 inches
Release Date: January 2007
Historical Account: "The Flying Tin Openers" - During the early part of World War II, the Squadron operated in a tactical reconnaissance role with Westland Lysanders from Palestine, but detached aircraft to the Western Desert until 1941 when Hawker Hurricanes were on strength. Co-operation with ground units was vital during sorties around this time and during one mission Flight Lieutenant McFall, carrying out a Lysander reconnaissance, located the enemy unit and then landed beside Allied gun batteries in order to direct the fire.
Further action in the Desert on anti-tank duties continued from 1942 until the end of the North African campaign. Flying the tank-busting, 40mm cannon-firing Hawker Hurricane Mk. IID variant the squadron excelled over the desert destroying many axis armoured targets. This is where they earned the nickname "The Flying Tin Openers". In 1944, the Squadron moved to Italy and flew the remainder of the War over the Balkans, equipped with rocket-firing Hurricane Mk. IVs.