Corgi AA34802 RAF Vickers Wellington Mk. X Medium Bomber - No. 99 Squadron, Burma, 1942-'43 (1:72 Scale)
"Why should we have a navy at all? There are no enemies for it to fight except apparently the Army Air Force."
- General Carl Spaatz, Commander of the US 8th Army Air Force, after WWII
The twin-engine Wellington was the mainstay of Bomber Command until 1942, when the four-engine heavy bombers entered service. The Wellington prototype took to the air for the first time in June 1936 and production models entered service with the Royal Air Force in October 1938. By September 1939 Bomber Command had eight Wellington squadrons, which increased to 21 by the beginning of 1942. It was widely nicknamed the "Wimpey" after the character in the Popeye cartoon strip, J. Wellington Wimpey.
Wellingtons were the first bombers used to attack Germany in September 1939, but like all British bombers of the war they were lightly armed and suffered heavily from attacks by German fighters. In 1940 the Wellington squadrons were switched to night raids. The unique geodetic latticework construction of the Wellington made it particularly robust - able to sustain remarkable amounts of flak damage and yet still keep flying. The last Wellingtons were withdrawn from service over Germany and occupied Europe in 1943 but continued to serve in the Mediterranean theatre and over Burma until the end of the war. The Wellington proved a versatile aircraft and was also employed as a maritime patrol aircraft, a minelayer, and a transport. In all, 11,461 Wellingtons were built during the war, making it the numerous multi-engine aircraft produced by Britain.
Pictured here is a 1:72 scale replica of a RAF Vickers Wellington Mk. X medium bomber assigned to No. 99 Squadron, based in Burma. Features rotating gun turrets, clear canopies, working bomb doors with authentic bomb load and fully detailed crew. Sold Out!
Wingspan: 14.5 inches
Length: 10.25 inches
Release Date: January 2005
Historical Account: "Beef Wellington" - Two squadrons stand out in the operations conducted by Wellingtons over the India-Burma front. These were Nos.99 and 215 Squadrons, which were sent to the theatre in early 1942 when sufficient aircraft were being produced for home and Middle East needs. Initially based in India in a number of separate detachments, No.99 Squadron, the first to become operational, was eventually based at Pandaveswar and later in October 1942 at Digri, where they were actively integrated into full operations against the Japanese. They later moved again, this time with 215 Squadron as 175 Wing to Jessore in May 1943. Providing a night strategic bombing force over Burma, the Wing attacked Japanese communications by road, rail and river as well as moving freight for the army.