Corgi AA37304 RAF De Havilland Vampire T11 FIghter - RAF Duxford, 1962 (1:72 Scale)
"Never in the field of human conflict was so much owed by so many to so few."
- British Prime Minister Winston Churchill, commenting on the British airmen in the Battle of Britain
The de Havilland DH.100 Vampire was a British jet fighter commissioned by the Royal Air Force during the Second World War. Following the Gloster Meteor, it was the second jet fighter to enter service with the RAF. Although it arrived too late to see combat during the war, the Vampire served with front line RAF squadrons until 1953 and continued in use as a trainer until 1966, although generally the RAF relegated the Vampire to advanced training roles in the mid-1950s and the type was generally out of RAF service by the end of the decade. The Vampire also served with many air forces worldwide, setting aviation firsts and records.
Almost 3,300 Vampires were built, a quarter of them under licence in other countries. The Vampire design was also developed into the de Havilland Venom fighter-bomber as well as naval Sea Vampire variants.
Pictured here is a 1:72 scale replica of a RAF de Havilland Vampire T11 FIghter that was deployed to RAF Duxford, England, during 1962.
Pre-order! Ship Date: December 2014.
Wingspan: 7.25 inches
Length: 6.75 inches
Release Date: ?
Historical Account: "War Museum" - The subject of a lengthy and thorough restoration, Vampire T11 WZ590 was unveiled to the public in its completed form on the 20th March 2012. Today the Vampire is displayed at the Imperial War Museum Duxford, where its colour scheme ensures it is one of the most striking and visible exhibits on display. Vampire WZ590 was manufactured at Hawarden in Wales and was delivered to No. 228 Operational Conversion Unit at RAF Leeming in December 1953. In 1959 the aircraft moved south to Oakington and No. 5 Flying Training School.
By 1963, it had been removed from active RAF service as the more advanced Jet Provost began to take over. It remained in storage until 1971 when it was transferred to the then new Imperial War Museum at Duxford where it remained in an only partly completed state with an inaccurate paint scheme until the restoration began in 2008.