The German Waffenamt issued an order to design the VK4501(H) (as the PzKpfw VI Ausf. E was then known) in May 1941, just one month prior to the commencement of Operation Barbarossa. Interestingly, Henschel und Sohn of Kassel was charged with building the heavily armored chassis while Krupp, by far the largest munitionwerks in Germany, was given the task of developing the turret. The PzKpfw VI Ausfuhrung E (type E) was one of the first German tanks to feature a torsion bar with eight interleaved wheels, which was designed to support the weight of the mammoth 57-ton tank. The Ausf. E mounted a huge 8.8cm KwK36 L/56 cannon and featured two MG34 machine guns for close support against enemy infantry. By war's end, 1,354 vehicles had been produced, some rolling off the Wegmann assembly line.
This particular 1L48 scale Tiger is painted in the standard factory applied dunkelgelb (dark yellow) base coat and bears the turret No. 213, which was attached to sPzAbt 502, then deployed to Russia during the summer of 1944. Sold Out!
Length: 6 inches
Width: 2 inches
Historical Account: "Elephant Hunt" - Schwere Panzer Abteilung 502 was formed in August 1942 and the first tanks arrived at the front near Leningrad on August 29th, 1942. The rest of the first company arrived in November and more tanks arrived at the front in February 1943. The second and third company was formed that April. It was redesignated schwere Panzer Abteilung 511 in January 1945 where it eventually surrendered to the Allies.