Eaglemoss EM023 New Zealand M3A1 Scout Car - 27th Battery, 5th Field Regiment, Regiment of New Zealand Artillery, Enfidaville, Tunisia, 1943 (1:43 Scale)
"After [El] Alamein, we never had a defeat."
- British Prime Minister Winston Churchill
As military vehicles go, the White M3A1 scout car was relatively short-lived during the war. First produced in 1938, it was basically obsolete as a front line vehicle after the North African campaign because of its limited seating capacity. Initially, the scout car was primarily used by armored and reconnaissance units, but it was more suited to road use than cross-country terrain, so the larger and more robust half-track was developed. By the time the Allies hit France in 1944, the car was relegated to MP and rear echelon units in the US Army, although it was more widely used at the front by the French and Russians.
The vehicle could carry a crew of eight and was armed with a .50 caliber M2 machine gun in the front and two .30 caliber 1917 Brownings positioned in the rear. All three guns were mounted on a continuous skate rail which could bring down a lot of fire on a target. The car was also equipped with an SCR506, 508 or 510 radio.
Pictured here is a 1:43 scale replica of a New Zealand M3A1 Scout Car that was attached to the 27th Battery, 5th Field Regiment, Regiment of New Zealand Artillery, then deployed to Enfidaville, Tunisia, during 1943.
Now in stock!
Release Date: August 2015
Historical Account: "Regiment of New Zealand Artillery" - During the Second World War, 4, 5 and 6 Field Regiments sailed with the 2nd New Zealand Expeditionary Force; initially also despatched was 7 Anti-Tank Regiment and 14 Light Anti-Aircraft Regiment. A number of artillery regiments and batteries served with the 2nd New Zealand Expeditionary Force in the Pacific (2 NZEF IP), and 3rd Division. After the war ended, the Territorial Force was reconstituted in the late 1940s, and a number of field, mortar (5th Light Regiment RNZA), and coastal units were created. In January 1947 the Regiment of New Zealand Artillery was amalgamated with the RNZA.