Nicknamed the "Jug" for its bulky shape, the Republic P-47 Thunderbolt was considered a monster of a machine. Despite its size, the Thunderbolt proved to be a fast and maneuverable warbird able to hold its own in combat. In fact, when Allied pilots climbed aboard a P-47, they knew the were in control of a fighting machine with enormous power. More importantly, they knew that if their aircraft was hit but gunfire, they had an excellent chance of making it home.
Pictured here is a 1:72 scale replica of a P-47-22, nicknamed "Kansas Tornado II," which was flown by the 510th Fighter Squadron, 405th Fighter Group based in France during September 1944. Sold Out!
Wingspan: 5 inches
Length: 5 inches
Release Date: April 2005
Historical Account: "Change of Plan(e)s" - The 510th Fighter Squadron was originally formed as the 625th Bombardment Squadron (Dive), part of the 405th Bombardment Group, at Drew Field, Florida, in 1943, flying the Douglas A-24 Banshee. On August 16th, 1943, the 625th was renamed the 510th Fighter-Bomber Squadron. In late 1943, the squadron moved to Walterboro Army Air Field, South Carolina, and began flying the Bell P-39 Airacobra, and then the Republic P-47 Thunderbolt. In March 1944, the 510th moved to RAF Christchurch, England, and began combat operations. During World War II, the 510th moved to mainland Europe with the advance of Allied troops, flying from Picauville and Saint-Dizier, France, Ophoven, Belgium, and Kitzingen, Germany. The unit was credited with 39 kills.