War Master WMAPF002 Italian Macchi C.205 Veltro Fighter - 1A Squadriglia, 51 Stormo, Italy, Summer 1944 (1:72 Scale)
"Neutrals never dominate events. They always sink. Blood alone moves the wheels of history."
- Italian Dictator, Benito Mussolini
The C.205 Veltro ("Greyhound") is considered the best Italian fighter of World War II. It was said that in the hands of a good pilot, it could defeat any allied plane. When the prototype of the Veltro was built, there were two other planes competing for the same contract: the Fiat G. 55 Centauro and the Reggiane Re 2005 Sagittario. The Veltro was faster at medium and low altitude than it's competitors and it was sturdier. Despite the fact that it carried heavier armament, it was found to be just as manuverable as its competitors. The main drawback was that the wings were shaped like those developed for the Saetta, an earlier design that lacked the same flying characteristics as the Veltro. The Veltro flew first in 1942 and began being incorporated into fighter squadrons a year later. The plane was never mass produced because Italy capitulated in late 1943. Interestingly, the fighter was used to some extent by the Co-Belligerant Force with the Allies and the Aviazioni National R.S.I., the fascist supporters of Mussolini, after Italy fell. The aircraft was also flown by the Egyptian Air Force during the Israeli War for Independence in 1948.
Pictured here is a 1:72 scale diecast replica of an Italian Macchi C.205 Veltro Fighter that was attached to 1A Squadriglia, 51 Stormo, then deployed to Italy during the summer of 1944. Sold Out!
Wingspan: 5.75 inches
Length: 4.75 inches
Release Date: July 2011
Historical Account: "Switching Sides" - The Italian Co-Belligerent Air Force was an air force formed in 1943 in southern Italy, whose pilots flew with the Allies after the Italian Armistice. Part of the Italian Royal Air Force - the Regia Aeronautica - remained under northern (German) control after the Italian Armistice in 1943. This was known as the Aeronautica Nazionale Repubblicana (ANR).
By the end of 1943, 281 Italian warplanes had landed at Allied airfields, but most were no longer useful for combat.
Their crews were re-equipped with Allied planes, and engaged in transport, escort, reconnaissance, sea rescue and limited tactical ground support operations flying 11,000 missions during 1943-1945.
The ICBAF never operated over Italian territory, its objectives being always on the Balkans (Yugoslavia and Albania). This was to avoid any possible encounter between Italian-manned aircraft fighting on opposite sides. During the entire history of the ICBAF, no such encounter, let alone combat, was ever reported. The ICBAF was later renamed Aeronautica Militare Italiana.