Eaglemoss EMGC06 Imperial Japanese Navy Battleship Ise [With Collector Magazine] (1:1100 Scale)
"In case opportunity for destruction of a major portion of the enemy fleet is offered, or can be created, such destruction becomes the primary task."
- Admiral Chester Nimitz to Admiral William "Bull" Halsey, concerning his order prior to the Battle of Leyte Gulf, October 1944
Ise was the lead ship of the two-vessel Ise-class battleship of the Imperial Japanese Navy, which saw combat service during the Pacific War. Ise was named after Ise Province, one of the traditional provinces of Japan, now part of Mie Prefecture.
Originally planned to be the third Fusō-class battleship, experience gained in the construction of the Fusō-class revealed a number of design issues, including weak armament and protection, which forced a redesign and new classification.
Ise was laid down at the Kawasaki Heavy Industries shipyard in Kobe on May 5th, 1915, launched on November 12th, 1916, and completed on December 15th, 1917, and assigned to the Kure Naval District.
Completed too late for service in World War I, in the early 1920s, Ise participated in numerous patrols off the Siberia coast and in northern waters in support of Japan's Siberian Intervention against the Bolshevik Red Army.
On April 12th, 1922, while at Yokohama, Ise hosted a delegation which included the Prince of Wales (the future Edward VIII), who was accompanied by his second cousin, the future Lord Mountbatten of Burma. From the mid-1920s through the late 1930s, Ise patrolled mostly off of the China coast.
In 1928-1929, Ise was rebuilt at the Kure Naval Arsenal, with its foremast increased in height in the distinctive "pagoda" style similar to Haruna. The fore funnel was fitted with a curved smoke cap, and a flying off platform for Yokosuka E1Y2 Type 14 floatplanes was fitted atop No. 5 main turret. Later, from 19301931, additional searchlights and a derrick was installed at the stern for handling floatplanes.
However, a more complete upgrade occurred from November 20th, 1931 February 10th, 1932, at Kure Naval Arsenal, which involved shortening the mainmast top section, replacing all the 76 mm (3.0 in)/40 cal AA guns with eight Type 89 127 mm (5.0 in)/40 cal AA guns (4x2), and adding four Vickers Type 40 mm (1.6 in) AT/AA guns (2x2). The shielded 140 mm (5.5 in)/40 cal guns from the forecastle deck were removed and a catapult and aircraft handling crane were fitted to the fantail. On 14 May 1933, a second catapult and three Type 90 seaplanes were added.
Shown here is a 1:1100 scale replica of the Imperial Japanese Navy battleship Ise.
Now in stock!
Length: 9-1/2 inches
Release Date: September 2014
Historical Account: "The Guns of August" - From August 1st, 1935, Ise was drydocked at Kure Naval Arsenal and underwent an extensive reconstruction and modernization. The 24 mixed-fired boilers were replaced by eight new Kampon oil-fired boilers and new Kampon geared turbines were fitted. Maximum speed increased to 25.4 kn (47.0 km/h; 29.2 mph) (25.21 kn (46.69 km/h; 29.01 mph) was reached during trials). The fore funnel was removed and stern lengthened by 7.62 m (25 ft). Anti-torpedo bulges were added and her six submerged torpedo tubes were removed. The elevation of Ise's main battery (with the exception of the aftermost turret No. 6) was increased to 43. Two forward 140 mm (5.5 in) casemate guns were removed. The elevation of secondary guns was increased from 20 to 30 and range increased from 15,800 m (51,800 ft) to 19,100 m (62,700 ft). Four 40 mm (1.6 in) Vickers AA guns were replaced by 10 Type 96 twin 25 mm (0.98 in)/60 cal AA guns. The original catapult was replaced by a Kure Type No. 2 Mod. 5 catapult and the aircraft handling deck was extended. Reconstruction was completed by March 27th, 1937.