Hobby Master HA3103 Greek Air Force Convair F-102A Delta Dagger Interceptor - 342 All-Weather Squadron, 114 Combat Wing, Tanagra, Greece (1:72 Scale)
"The Ultimate Interceptor."
- DoD reference to the newly developed production version of the F-102 Delta Dagger
The Convair F-102 Delta Dagger was a US interceptor aircraft built as part of the backbone of the United States Air Force's air defenses in the late 1950s. Entering service in 1956, its main purpose was to intercept invading Soviet bomber fleets.
The F-102 was the first operational supersonic interceptor and delta-wing fighter of the USAF. It used an internal weapons bay to carry both guided missiles and rockets. As originally designed, it could not achieve Mach 1 supersonic flight until redesigned with area ruling. The F-102 replaced subsonic types such as the F-89 Scorpion, and by the 1960s, it saw limited service in Vietnam in bomber escort and ground attack roles. It was supplemented by F-101 Voodoos and, later, by F-4 Phantom IIs. Many of the F-102s were transferred to United States Air National Guard duty by the mid-to-late 1960s, and the type was retired from operational service in 1976. The follow-on replacement was the Mach 2 class F-106 Delta Dart which was an extensive redesign of the F-102.
Pictured here is a 1:72 scale rendition of a Greek Convair F-102A Delta Dagger Interceptor that was attached to the 342 All-Weather Squadron, 114 Combat Wing. Sold Out!
Wingspan: 6.25 inches
Release Date: February 2011
Historical Account: "Greek Salad" - After the end of the Greek Civil War, in November 1950, in order to assist the United Nations, Greece sent to South Korea seven C-47 Dakota aircraft of the 13th Transport Aircraft Squadron. The Greek Aircraft operated in Korea until May 1955. Greek pilots flew thousands of war missions such as air evacuations, transports of personnel, prisoners of war and every kind of material, drops of supplies and ammunition and collection of information. In 1952, Greece was admitted to NATO and the Air Force was rebuilt and organized according to NATO standards, with US assistance. New aircraft, including jets, were introduced.
The first jet fighter interceptor design to be flown by the Hellenic Air Force was the F-84G Thunderjets soon to be replaced by Canadair Sabre 2, about 100 examples being supplied during 1954 and 1955 after upgrading in the United Kingdom following service with the Royal Canadian Air Force. Allongside T-33's were given to EMA's And some RT-33's for reconnaissance missions. The Republic F-84F first flew with the Hellenic Air Force in 1955. The Thunderstreak was developed to overcome the limitations of the Thunderjet's straight flying surfaces. The RF-84F was the reconnaissance version of the F-84 F Thunderstreak. This aircraft remained operational with the 348 Tactical Reconnaissance Squadron of the Hellenic Air Force from 1956 to March 29th, 1991.
In the late 1960s, the RHAF acquired new jet aircraft, that served well for almost 20 years. The main jets that entered the HAF fleet during this period were the F-104G Starfighter and later on, the Convair F-102 Delta Dagger (in service 1969â€“1975) and the F-5 Freedom Fighter.
In the mid 1970s, Hellenic Air Force was further modernized with deliveries of the Dassault Mirage F1CG fleet, A-7H/TA-7H Corsair II and the first batch of F-4E Phantom II, upgraded versions of which still serve today.
Also in 1993, USAF delivered to Hellenic Air Force 62 A-7E/TA-7C. With these type of aircraft, the air to ground capabilities of Hellenic Air Force were increased. Some of the A-7s are still in service with the Hellenic Air Force, until the deliveries of 4.5 generation fighters