War Master WMTK028 German leFH 18(Sf) 105mm Gun auf Geschutzwagen 39H(f) Self-Propelled Anti-Tank Gun - 21.Panzer Division, Normandy, France, 1944 (1:72 Scale)
"If the tank succeeds, then victory follows."
- Major-General Heinz Guderian, "Achtung Panzer!"
The leFH 18(Sf) 105mm Gun auf Geschutzwagen 39H(f) self-propelled anti-tank gun was built to the same specifications as the Sd. Kfz. 135 Lorraine Schlepper, but were fitted with an armored superstructure of greater thickness. The leFH18 and the Panzerjager conversion were unusual, in that the engine was left at the rear in the same way as the 7.5cm PaK40/2 auf Fgst PzKpfw II (Sf). The complete superstructure and engine cover were removed, and a new plate for the driver was fitted as part of the new self-propelled gun conversion. Photographic evidence also shows that some vehicles were fitted with the older 105.cm leFH16.
Pictured here is a 1:72 scale replica of a German leFH 18(Sf) 105mm Gun auf Geschutzwagen 39H(f) self-propelled anti-tank gun that was attached to the 21.Panzer Division, then deployed to Normandy, France, during 1944. Now in stock!
Length: 5-1/4 inches
Width: 1 inch
Release Date: May 2013
Historical Account: "With the Fox" - The Afrika Korps was formed on February 19th, 1941, after the German Armed Forces High Command (OKW) had decided to send an expeditionary force to Libya to support the Italian army, which had been routed by an Allied counteroffensive, Operation Compass. The German expeditionary force, commanded by Erwin Rommel, at first consisted only of the 5.Panzer-Regiment and various other small units. These elements were organized into the 5.Leicht-Division when they arrived in Africa in February.
In the spring, the 5.Leicht-Division was joined by the 15.Panzer Division, though it did not arrive until Rommel had already re-taken most of Cyrenaica and gone back over to the defensive. At this time the Afrika Korps consisted of the two divisions plus various smaller supporting units, and was officially subordinated to the Italian chain of command in Africa (though Rommel had conducted his offensive without any authorization).
On October 1st, 1941, the 5.Leicht-Division was redesignated as the 21.Panzer Division, although it was still attached to the Afrika Korps. During the summer of 1941, the OKW invested more command structure in Africa by creating a new headquarters called Panzer Gruppe Afrika. On August 15th, Panzer Gruppe Afrika was formally activated with Rommel in charge, and command of the Afrika Korps was turned over to Ludwig Cruewell. The Panzer Gruppe controlled the Afrika Korps plus some additional German units that were sent to Africa, as well as two corps of Italian units. (A German "group" was approximately the equivalent of an army in other militaries, and in fact Panzer Gruppe Afrika was redesignated as Panzer Armee Afrika on January 30th, 1942.)