The German Waffenamt issued an order to design the VK4501(H) (as the PzKpfw VI Ausf E was then known) in May 1941, just one month prior to the commencement of Operation Barbarossa. Interestingly, Henschel und Sohn of Kassel was charged with building the heavily armored chassis while Krupp, by far the largest munitionwerks in Germany, was given the task of developing the turret. The PzKpfw VI Ausfuhrung E (type E) was one of the first German tanks to feature a torsion bar with eight interleaved wheels, which was designed to support the mammoth 57-ton tank. The Ausf E mounted a huge 8.8cm KwK36 L/56 cannon and featured two MG34 machine guns for close support against enemy infantry. By war's end, 1,354 vehicles had been produced, some rolling off the Wegmann assembly line.
This particular 1:50 scale replica of a German Tiger Ausf E (Type E) heavy tank was used by Panzer Ace Kurt Sowa during the Battle of the Bulge. Sold Out!
Width: 2 inches
Length: 4.5 inches
Release Date: December 2004
Historical Account: This Tiger was used by Sergeant Kurt Sowa in June 1944 during the Normandy Campaign. On June 13th it was borrowed by the unit’s Commanding Officer, Michael Wittmann, for a reconnaissance mission north of Villers-Bocage. The mission brought him fame for his singlehanded fight with the 4th County of London Yeomanry. This Tiger was one of the few to survive the Falaise Pocket, but was later destroyed during the Battle of the Bulge near Stavelot.