The German Waffenamt issued an order to design the VK4501(H) (as the PzKpfw VI Ausf E was then known) in May 1941, just one month prior to the commencement of Operation Barbarossa. Interestingly, Henschel und Sohn of Kassel was charged with building the heavily armored chassis while Krupp, by far the largest munitionwerks in Germany, was given the task of developing the turret. The PzKpfw VI Ausfuhrung E (type E) was one of the first German tanks to feature a torsion bar with eight interleaved wheels, which was designed to support the mammoth 57-ton tank. The Ausf E mounted a huge 8.8cm KwK36 L/56 cannon and featured two MG34 machine guns for close support against enemy infantry. By war's end, 1,354 vehicles had been produced, some rolling off the Wegmann assembly line.
This particular 1:50 scale replica of a German Tiger Ausf E heavy tank was commanded by legendary panzer ace, Wil Fey. Sold Out!
Width: 2 inches
Length: 4.5 inches
Release Date: May 2006
Historical Account: "Ace of Aces" - After intense training in Holland near Oldebruch, schwere SS Panzer Abteilung 102 left on June 11th, 1944, and in a roundabout way got to Normandy on July 7th. Once in the fray, it primarily fought against British troops. During the period July 10th to August 22nd, the score for the battalion rose to 230 tanks, 28 anti-tank guns, 19 half-tracks, 4 M8 armored cars, 34 trucks and a large number of captured vehicles.
Wil Fey, the "ace of aces", himself claimed 88 kills while fighting in Normandy.
It is diffcult to understand why he was not given another Tiger when he was transfered to the Eastern front later that year. Nevertheless, out of 45 Tigers committed by sSS-Pz.Abt. 102 in the Battle for Normandy, about twenty were destroyed in combat. Afterwards, the unit was re-formed using the more powerful Tiger IIs.