The Motor Pool TMP4035 German Sd. Kfz. 181 PzKpfw VI Tiger I Ausf. E Heavy Tank - Obersturmbanfuhrer Albert Kerscher, '213', schwere Panzerabteilung 511, Russia, 1944 (1:35 Scale)
"The gun and armor of the Tiger were superb, making it in many ways the most formidable tank in service. Even so, it was poor in maneuver, it was slow, and its turret was a slow traverser in action. It was a tank which was, at its best, immobile in ambush, when its killing power was very frightening."
- Douglas Orgill, "German Armor"
The German Waffenamt issued an order to design the VK4501(H) (as the PzKpfw VI Ausf E was then known) in May 1941, just one month prior to the commencement of Operation Barbarossa. Interestingly, Henschel und Sohn of Kassel was charged with building the heavily armored chassis while Krupp, by far the largest munitionwerks in Germany, was given the task of developing the turret. The PzKpfw VI Ausfuhrung E (type E) was one of the first German tanks to feature a torsion bar with eight interleaved wheels, which was designed to support the mammoth 57-ton tank. The Ausf E mounted a huge 8.8cm KwK36 L/56 cannon and featured two MG34 machine guns for close support against enemy infantry. By war's end, 1,354 vehicles had been produced, some rolling off the Wegmann assembly line.
Now The Motor Pool is proud to offer this stunning 1:35 scale diecast replica of Albert Kerscher's PzKpfw VI Tiger Ausf E. heavy tank. The finished article will even sport a series of "kill rings" painted along the length of the gun barrel. Sold Out!
Length: 10 inches
Width: 4 inches
Height: 4 inches
Historical Account: "On Sacred Ground" - On April 15th, 1945, Albert Kerscher of schwere Panzerabteilung 511 scored his 100th kill while fending off a Russian advance towards the Neuhauser Forest as German forces attempted to evacuate wounded troops from a nearby Baltic port.
Kerscher also served with Otto Carius, one of the leading panzer aces fighting on the eastern front.