The Motor Pool TMP7092 German Sd. Kfz. 7 8-Ton Semi-Tracked Prime Mover - Panzer Grenadier Division 'Grossdeutschland' (1:35 Scale)
"We must do everything we can to promote anti-tank defense, and work just as hard to guarantee successful counter-attacks through the instrument of powerful tank forces of our own."
- Major-General Heinz Guderian, "Achtung Panzer!"
Development of the Sd. Kfz. 7 can be traced back to a 1934 requirement for an 8-ton half-track. The vehicle first appeared in 1938 and was destined to be used mainly as the tractor for the 8.8cm flak gun. The Sd. Kfz. 7 was an extremely useful vehicle, employed both as a weapons carrier and prime mover by the Wehrmacht. They also saw service as observation and command posts for V2 rocket batteries. The vehicle could carry up to 12 men and a considerable quantity of supplies, as well as pulling up to 8000kg (17,600 lbs) of equipment. Most were fitted with a winch, which enabled them to pull smaller disabled vehicles out of mud or other quagmires. A mainstay of the German Army, the Sd. Kfz. 7 was even admired by the enemies of the Reich. In fact, the British tried to make exact copies of captured Sd. Kfz. 7s and some vehicles were appropriated for use by the Allies after World War II.
This particular Sd. Kfz. 7 prime mover is painted in a winter camouflage scheme and bears the insignia of the 'Grossdeutschland' Panzer Grenadier Division. Sold Out!
Length: 8 inches
Width: 2.5 inches
Height: 3 inches
Historical Account: "Greater Germany" - On June 23rd, 1943, Infanterie Division "Grossdeutschland'" was officially re-classified as a Panzergrenadier Division. The two infantry regiments became known as Panzer Grenadier Regiment Grossdeutschland' and Panzer Fusilier Regiment Grossdeutschland'. Interestingly, both units retained their white arm-of-service or branch color (waffenfarbe) rather than the new grass-green piping adopted by the panzergrenadiers. Involved in Operation: Zitadelle, Panzer Grenadier Division Grossdeutschland' was, in actuality, a full-fledged panzer division since it was one of only a handful of units equipped with a battalion of Tiger tanks. After Kursk, the unit fought on the Dniepr Line, and by early 1944 was fighting in the north, retreating into East Prussia and Latvia as the Russian onslaught continue to gather momentum.
In November 1944, the Grossdeutschland' Division was still regarded as a Panzergrenadier division, although other units within its 'sphere of influence' were expanded to form the Panzerkorps Grossdeutschland'.