Development of the Sd. Kfz. 7 can be traced back to a 1934 requirement for an 8-ton half-track. The vehicle first appeared in 1938 and was destined to be used mainly as the tractor for the 8.8cm flak gun. The Sd. Kfz. 7 was an extremely useful vehicle, employed both as a weapons carrier and prime mover by the Wehrmacht. They also saw service as observation and command posts for V2 rocket batteries. The vehicle could carry up to 12 men and a considerable quantity of supplies, as well as pulling up to 8000kg (17,600 lbs) of equipment. Most were fitted with a winch, which enabled them to pull smaller disabled vehicles out of mud or other quagmires. A mainstay of the German Army, the Sd. Kfz. 7 was even admired by the enemies of the Reich. In fact, the British tried to make exact copies of captured Sd. Kfz. 7s and some vehicles were appropriated for use by the Allies after World War II.
Pictured here is a 1:50 scale German Kraus-Maffei Sd. Kfz. 7 semi-tracked troop carrier/prime mover used by the Panzer Division Hermann Goring during their defense of Sicily. This Sd. Kfz. 7 has the standard dark yellow undercoat with stripes and patches of dark olive green applied over various portions of the vehicle. It also carries the distinctive Hermann Goring Division oak leaf insignia and unique colored disk recognition symbol. Sold Out!
Length: 5 inches
Width: 2 inches
Release Date: September 2003
Historical Account: "The Sicilian Defense" - The Panzer Division Hermann Goring was sent to Naples, Italy, during the summer of 1943, and then on to Sicily with the 15th Panzer Grenadier Division. Initially, the Division met with success holding off the Allied advance on Sicily, but was eventually forced to retreat, losing most of its Panzer III and IV tanks in the process. The remaining personnel and equipment were evacuated from Messina during Operation Lehrgang, then used again with great effect to slow down the Allied advance up mainland Italy. Their defense of the Gustav Line at Cassino was tenacious, forcing the Allied advance to grind to a halt in early 1944.