Corgi US60008 German Krauss-Maffei Sd. Kfz. 7/1 Prime Mover with Flak Gun - 2.SS Panzer Division 'Das Reich', Ardennes, 1944 (1:50 Scale)
"If the tank succeeds, then victory follows."
- Major-General Heinz Guderian, "Achtung Panzer!"
Development of the Sd. Kfz. 7 can be traced back to a 1934 requirement for an 8-ton half-track. The vehicle first appeared in 1938 and was destined to be used mainly as the tractor for the 8.8cm flak gun. The Sd. Kfz. 7 was an extremely useful vehicle, employed both as a weapons carrier and prime mover by the Wehrmacht. They also saw service as observation and command posts for V2 rocket batteries. The vehicle could carry up to 12 men and a considerable quantity of supplies, as well as pulling up to 8000kg (17,600 lbs) of equipment. Most were fitted with a winch, which enabled them to pull smaller disabled vehicles out of mud or other quagmires. A mainstay of the German Army, the Sd. Kfz. 7 was even admired by the enemies of the Reich. In fact, the British tried to make exact copies of captured Sd. Kfz. 7s and some vehicles were appropriated for use by the Allies after World War II.
Pictured here is a 1:50 scale replica of a German Kraus-Maffei Sd. Kfz. 7 semi-tracked personnel carrier/prime mover used by the 2.SS Panzer Division during the Battle of the Bulge.
Length: 5 inches
Width: 2 inches
Release Date: October 2004
Historical Account: In anticipation of the Allied landings in 1944, several new SS armored units were formed in the West and several that had been operating in Russia were sent across to help. One of these was 2.SS Panzer Division 'Das Reich' which had suffered heavy losses while fighting in the East. Though initially containing the Allied advance, SS units were soon on the defensive after the US breakthrough at St.Lo. The loss of German vehicles was staggering. By the end of August 1944 'Das Reich' had just fifteen tanks left. December 1944 saw the ill-fated Ardennes offensive and the final thrusts on Bastogne before Patton’s third Army broke through. The unit symbol for SS Division 'Das Reich' was a ‘Wolfsangel’ lying on one side, painted in yellow ochre. This sign was used throughout the war and can be seen on this typical Sd. Kfz. 7 from an SS Division.