Forces of Valor 81210 German Sd. Kfz. 251/9 Stummel Half-Track with 7.5cm Anti-Tank Gun - 2.SS Panzer Division 'Das Reich', Normandy, 1944 (1:32 Scale)
"We must do everything we can to promote anti-tank defense, and work just as hard to guarantee successful counter-attacks through the instrument of powerful tank forces of our own."
- Major-General Heinz Guderian, "Achtung Panzer!"
On March 31st, 1942, Bussing-Nag was ordered to develop an armored superstructure capable of mounting the 7.5cm KwK gun. In June 1942, two prototypes were sent to Russia for field tests and as a result, an order was placed for 150 units that same month. In 1944, a new mounting design was introduced which could be fitted on a number of vehicles without major modification. The 7.5cm was redesignated K51(Sf) when fitted in the new mounting.
This particular 1:32 scale replica of a German Sd. Kfz. 251/9 Stummel half-track was attached to the 2.SS Panzer Division, then deployed to Normandy in 1944.
Length: 7 inches
Width: 2.25 inches
Height: 2 inches
Release Date: July 2004
Historical Account: "Das Reich" - 2.SS Panzer Division Das Reich was formed in October 1939 from the Deutschland, Germania, and Der Fuhrer regiments. It took part in the 1940 campaign in the west and, after spending some time guarding the border with Vichy France, was transferred to The Netherlands. Das Reich participated in the Balkans campaign where a small detachment, led by SS-Hauptsturmfuhrer Klingenberg, forced the surrender of Belgrade without a fight.
Das Reich was involved in the invasion of Russia and fought until August when it was finally withdrawn for rest and refit. It returned to the front the following month, which enabled it to take part in the failed offensive against Moscow in December. In March 1942, the bulk of the division was transferred to France, where it was upgraded to a panzergrenadier division. It was sent back to the Eastern front in January 1943, helping to recapture the city of Kharkov and participate in the battle for Kursk. Afterwards, it was transferred to France for a second time, where it was upgraded to a full panzer division. The Division was sent to Normandy in June 1944 when the Allies invaded, earning a reputation for unbridled ruthlessness at Oradour sur Glane. In late 1944 and 1945, Das Reich fought in the Ardennes, Hungary, and Austria, before finally surrendering to the US Army in mid-1945.