Forces of Valor 81010 German Sd. Kfz. 251/1 Ausf. D Half-Track - 7.Panzer Division, Eastern Front, 1943 (1:32 Scale)
"We must do everything we can to promote anti-tank defense, and work just as hard to guarantee successful counter-attacks through the instrument of powerful tank forces of our own."
- Major-General Heinz Guderian, "Achtung Panzer!"
The Sonderkraftfahrzeug (Sd. Kfz.) 251 half-track had its origins in the same requirement as the smaller and lighter Sd. Kfz. 250. Intended as an armored personnel carrier, the Sd. Kfz. 251 entered service in 1939, and quickly became the standard means of transport for the panzergrenadiers. As it turned out, the Sd. Kfz. 251 was an especially useful vehicle, not only capable of keeping up with the newly formed panzer divisions but also providing invaluable support as well. All told, there were 22 special-purpose variants built, including the menacing-looking Stukavoss ("infantry Stuka"), which mounted a series of rocket launchers on the outer sides of the vehicle. Other variants included a flame-thrower, anti-tank, and communications vehicle, as well as an observation post, ambulance, and infra-red searchlight carrier. Despite suffering from early reliability problems, the Sd. Kfz. 251 was produced by the thousands, eventually becoming a trademark of the German panzertruppe on all fronts.
This particular 1:32 scale replica of a German Sd. Kfz. 251/1 half-track was used on the
Ostfront (eastern front) and attached to the 7.Panzer Division. Sold Out!
Length: 7 inches
Width: 2.25 inches
Height: 2 inches
Release Date: July 2004
Historical Account: 7.Panzer Division was formed in October 1939 from the 2.Leichte-Division (Light Division). It fought in Flanders and France, remaining in France until February 1941. The unit was refitted and sent to the Eastern front where it fought in the central sector until May 1942 when it was again sent to France for refitting. It returned to the Eastern front in February 1943, this time dispatched to the southern sector. It took part in the fighting at Kursk, Kiev, Zhitomir, Kharkov and later in the long retreat through the Ukraine. 7.Panzer was transferred to the Baltic Republics in August 1944 and remained there until November. It retreated west, fighting the Red Army and finally surrendering to the British Army at Schwerin in May 1945.