Altaya ALT0010 German Sd. Kfz. 250/5 Light Command Half-Track - Deutsches Afrika Korps, Tobruk, Lybia, 1942 (1:72 Scale)
"Rommel, you magnificent bastard. I read your book."
- George C. Scott playing the part of General George S. Patton, Jr. from the feature film "Patton"
The Sd. Kfz. 250 was a light armored halftrack, very similar in appearance to the larger Hanomag-designed Sdkfz 251, and built by the DEMAG firm, for use by Nazi Germany in World War II. The 250 had 4 roadwheels and a cargo capacity of one ton.
Compared to U.S. halftracks, the Sd. Kfz. 250 series was less mobile, with unpowered front wheels. However, its tracks made it far more mobile than the armored cars it replaced, and it was a popular vehicle. Most variants were open-topped and had a single access door in the rear.
Adopted in 1939 to supplement the standard halftrack, it was based on the 1938 Sd.Kfz. 10 prime mover and intended to carry an infantry section in company with an armoured car. Production delays meant the first 250 did not appear until mid 1941.
The Sd. Kfz. 250/3
leichter Funkpanzerwagen was designed as a command variant, equipped with radio equipment and the "bedstead" aerial frame.
Pictured here is a 1:72 scale replica of a German Sd. Kfz. 250/5 light half-track that qaa deployed to Lybia during 1942.
Length: 4 inches
Width: 1-1/2 inches
Release Date: March 2014
Historical Account: "With the Fox" - The Afrika Korps was formed on February 19th, 1941, after the German Armed Forces High Command (OKW) had decided to send an expeditionary force to Libya to support the Italian army, which had been routed by an Allied counteroffensive, Operation Compass. The German expeditionary force, commanded by Erwin Rommel, at first consisted only of the 5. Panzer-Regiment and various other small units. These elements were organized into the 5. Leicht-Division when they arrived in Africa in February.
In the spring, the 5.Leicht-Division was joined by the 15.Panzer Division, though it did not arrive until Rommel had already re-taken most of Cyrenaica and gone back over to the defensive. At this time the
Afrika Korps consisted of the two divisions plus various smaller supporting units, and was officially subordinated to the Italian chain of command in Africa (though Rommel had conducted his offensive without any authorization).
On October 1st, 1941, the 5.Leicht-Division was redesignated as the 21.Panzer Division, although it was still attached to the
Afrika Korps. During the summer of 1941, the OKW invested more command structure in Africa by creating a new headquarters called Panzer Gruppe Afrika. On August 15th, Panzer Gruppe Afrika was formally activated with Rommel in charge, and command of the Afrika Korps was turned over to Ludwig Cruewell. The Panzer Gruppe controlled the Afrika Korps plus some additional German units that were sent to Africa, as well as two corps of Italian units. (A German "group" was approximately the equivalent of an army in other militaries, and in fact Panzer Gruppe Afrika was redesignated as Panzer Armee Afrika on January 30th, 1942.)