Panzerstahl PS88016 German Sd. Kfz. 234/3 8-Wheeled Armored Car - 3.Panzer Division, Hungary, 1945 (1:72 Scale)
"We must do everything we can to promote anti-tank defense, and work just as hard to guarantee successful counter-attacks through the instrument of powerful tank forces of our own."
- Major-General Heinz Guderian, "Achtung Panzer!"
On August 5th, 1940, an order was given to design an eight-wheeled armored car similar in design to the Sd. Kfz. 231. Unlike the previous design, where the armored body was bolted to the chassis, the Sd. Kfz. 234 armored hull was to serve as the chassis, thereby strengthening the overall integrity of the vehicle. Furthermore, the armored car was to have heavier armor and a 12-cylinder air-cooled diesel engine that would enable it to operate in the hot climate of North Africa as well as the cold steppes of western Russia. Two trial versions were built and an initial order was made for 500 vehicles, which was later increased to 1,500. The initial requirement was for a vehicle equipped with the 5cm KwK 39/1 gun (Sd. Kfz. 234/2). In January 1944, the order was cut to limit the Puma production to 100 vehicles so that two new variants could be created, one mounting a 2cm KwK gun and the other a more powerful 7.5cm KwK gun.
The 234/3 variant featured one 7.5cm K51 L/24 gun in an open-topped superstructure replacing the turret. 88 were built between June and December 1944.
Pictured here is a 1:72 scale replica of a German Sd. Kfz. 234/3 8-wheeled armored car that was attached to the 3.Panzer Division, then serving in Hungary during 1945. Now in stock!
Length: 3-1/4 inches
Width: 1-1/4 inches
Release Date: April 2011
Historical Account: "Panzers Vorwarts" - The 3.Panzer Division was raised in October 1935 in Wunsdorf, Germany. In 1939, it went into action during the invasion of Poland and again in 1940 crashing through Holland, Belgium and France. In June 1941, is was under the command of Heeresgruppe Mitte at the start of Operation Barbarossa. There it fought at Smolensk, Kiev and Tula. In December 1941, it transferred to Heeresgruppe Sd and was involved in the battles of Kharkov and Kursk during 1942. In April 1943, it again changed command to Heeresgruppe "Nordukraine", taking part in the battles at Belgorod, Kharkov and Kiev. In 1944. the Division operated under the command of several Heeresgruppen fighting at Tscherkassy, Dnjestr Kischinew and Narew. In 1945, it was withdrawn and redeployed to Hungary and Austria, eventually surrendering to US troops near Steyr.