Panzerstahl PS88015 German Sd. Kfz. 234/3 8-Wheeled Armored Car - 1.Panzer Division, Hungary, March 1945 (1:72 Scale)
"We must do everything we can to promote anti-tank defense, and work just as hard to guarantee successful counter-attacks through the instrument of powerful tank forces of our own."
- Major-General Heinz Guderian, "Achtung Panzer!"
On August 5th, 1940, an order was given to design an eight-wheeled armored car similar in design to the Sd. Kfz. 231. Unlike the previous design, where the armored body was bolted to the chassis, the Sd. Kfz. 234 armored hull was to serve as the chassis, thereby strengthening the overall integrity of the vehicle. Furthermore, the armored car was to have heavier armor and a 12-cylinder air-cooled diesel engine that would enable it to operate in the hot climate of North Africa as well as the cold steppes of western Russia. Two trial versions were built and an initial order was made for 500 vehicles, which was later increased to 1,500. The initial requirement was for a vehicle equipped with the 5cm KwK 39/1 gun (Sd. Kfz. 234/2). In January 1944, the order was cut to limit the Puma production to 100 vehicles so that two new variants could be created, one mounting a 2cm KwK gun and the other a more powerful 7.5cm KwK gun.
The 234/3 variant featured one 7.5cm K51 L/24 gun in an open-topped superstructure replacing the turret. 88 were built between June and December 1944.
Pictured here is a 1:72 scale replica of a German Sd. Kfz. 234/3 8-wheeled armored car that was attached to the 1.Panzer Division, then deployed to Hungary during March 1945. Now in stock!
Length: 3-1/4 inches
Width: 1-1/4 inches
Release Date: April 2011
Historical Account: "Cadre" - The 1.Panzer Division was raised in October 1935 in Weimar. It saw it's first taste of combat in September 1939 in Poland. After the fall of Poland it was transported to the western border and invaded then Luxemburg and France in May 1940.
In September 1940, the Division was transported to East-Prussia and was part of the invasion of russia where it headed direction Moscow in 1941. Early 1942 it was transferred from Heeresgruppe-Nord to Heeresgruppe-Mitte and fought at Welish and Rshew until it was transported to France by end of December 1942 where it satyend until May 1943 when it was transported back in combat in Greece and lateron in October transferred to the Ukraine. It stayed at the Eastern Front until the end of the war and fought at Shitomir, Brody, Hungary and pulled back to Austria where it surrendered to US troops in May 1945.