Panzerstahl PS88012 German Sd. Kfz. 234/1 8-Wheeled Armored Car - 4.Panzer Division, Danzig, 1945 (1:72 Scale)
"We must do everything we can to promote anti-tank defense, and work just as hard to guarantee successful counter-attacks through the instrument of powerful tank forces of our own."
- Major-General Heinz Guderian, "Achtung Panzer!"
The SdKfz 234 (Sonderkraftfahrzeug 234, or special purpose vehicle 234) was an eight-wheeled armoured car used by the German Army in the Second World War. It broadly resembles the SdKfz 231 (8 rad).
The combat experience of the existing 8-wheeled armoured cars during the German invasions of Poland and France, indicated some deficiencies in the current design. Therefore, in August 1940 an improvement program was started, based on a new set of requirements learned from these combat experiences. The result was the SdKfz 234.
Developed from the Bussing-NAG SdKfz 232, design of the Sd Kfz 234 began in 1940. It was to have a monocoque chassis with eight wheels, like its predecessors, and an aircooled engine for use in North Africa.
Chassis were built by Bussing-NAG in Leipzig-Wahren, while armoured bodies were provided by Deutsche Edelstahlwerke of Krefeld and turrets by Daimler Benz in Berlin-Marienfeld and Schichau of Elbing, with engines from Ringhoffer-Tatra-Werke AG of Nesseldorf.
The 234/1 boasted a 2 cm KwK 30 L/55 autocannon, as well as a MG34 machinegun, and featured an open-topped turret. Around 200 were produced.
Pictured here is a 1:72 scale replica of a German Sd. Kfz. 234/1 8-wheeled armored car that was attached to the 4.Panzer Division, then deployed to Danzig during 1945. Now in stock!
Length: 3-1/4 inches
Width: 1-1/4 inches
Release Date: April 2011
Historical Account: "Pan's Enchantment" - Formed at Wurzburg in November 1938, 4.Panzer-Division fought in both Poland and France, before remaining in France on occupation duty until November 1940. It was later transferred to East Prussia to take part in the invasion of the USSR, fighting on the central sector of the Eastern front. Like the rest of the Wehrmacht, it was eventually pushed back by the Red Army. The unit fought in Latvia and Kurland from the summer of 1944 until January 1945, when it was transferred to West Prussia where it surrendered to the Red Army in April 1945.