Hobby Master HG4305 German Sd. Kfz. 234/1 8-Wheeled Armored Car - Panzer Aufklarung Abteilung 4, 4.Panzer Division, Poland, January 1945 (1:72 Scale)
"We must do everything we can to promote anti-tank defense, and work just as hard to guarantee successful counter-attacks through the instrument of powerful tank forces of our own."
- Major-General Heinz Guderian, "Achtung Panzer!"
On August 5th, 1940, an order was given to design an eight-wheeled armored car similar in design to the Sd. Kfz. 231. Unlike the previous design, where the armored body was bolted to the chassis, the Sd. Kfz. 234 armored hull was to serve as the chassis, thereby strengthening the overall integrity of the vehicle. Furthermore, the armored car was to have heavier armor and a 12-cylinder air-cooled diesel engine that would enable it to operate in the hot climate of North Africa as well as the cold steppes of western Russia. Two trial versions were built and an initial order was made for 500 vehicles, which was later increased to 1,500. The initial requirement was for a vehicle equipped with the 5cm KwK 39/1 gun (Sd. Kfz. 234/2). In January 1944, the order was cut to limit the Puma production to 100 vehicles so that two new variants could be created, one mounting a 2cm KwK gun and the other a more powerful 7.5cm KwK gun.
The 234/1 boasted a 2 cm KwK 30 L/55 autocannon, as well as a MG34 machinegun, and featured an open-topped turret. Around 200 were produced.
Pictured here is a 1:72 scale replica of a German Sd. Kfz. 234/1 8-wheeled armored car that was attached to Panzer Aufklarung Abteilung 4, 4.Panzer Division, then deployed to Poland during January 1945. Sold Out!
Length: 3-1/4 inches
Width: 1-1/4 inches
Release Date: January 2012
Historical Account: "Pan's Enchantment" - Formed at Wurzburg in November 1938, 4.Panzer-Division fought in both Poland and France, before remaining in France on occupation duty until November 1940. It was later transferred to East Prussia to take part in the invasion of the USSR, fighting on the central sector of the Eastern front. Like the rest of the Wehrmacht, it was eventually pushed back by the Red Army. The unit fought in Latvia and Kurland from the summer of 1944 until January 1945, when it was transferred to West Prussia where it surrendered to the Red Army in April 1945.