Dragon DRA60600 German Sd. Kfz. 231 Armored Car - 23.Panzer Division, Mozdok, Russia, 1942 (1:72 Scale)
"If the tank succeeds, then victory follows."
- Major-General Heinz Guderian, "Achtung Panzer!"
The term Schwerer Panzersphwagen (Heavy armored reconnaissance vehicle), covers the 6 and 8 wheeled armoured cars Germany used during the Second World War.
In the German Army, armoured cars were intended for the traditional cavalry missions of reconnaissance and screening. They scouted ahead of mechanized units to assess enemy strength and location. Their primary role was to observe rather than fight enemy units, although they were expected to fight enemy reconnaissance elements when required.
Loosely based on the hull of the Sd.Kfz 231/6-Rad vehicle. The hull was modified to swap the main driver & reverse driver/radio operator positions in order to place the engine at the rear and the 3 axle truck chassis replaced with a pair of 2 axle 4 wheel trucks, for an eight-wheeled, all wheel drive, all wheel steering chassis to improve off road capabilities and maneuverability. The turret was also altered to a hexagonal shape for increased internal volume. Armament was unchanged.
Dragon Armor has done it again by producing another brand new item Sd. Kfz.231. The unique shape of this 8x8 vehicle is beautifully captured, and the miniature portrays a vehicle fighting from 23.Panzer Division seeing combat in Mozdok 1942. Its painted in a camouflage color scheme, and this armored car is ready to perform reconnaissance missions across the vast Russian steppes ahead of the all-conquering panzer divisions! Now in stock!
Length: 3-1/4 inches
Width: 1-1/4 inches
Release Date: April 2014
Historical Account: "Beute Panzer" - The 23.Panzer Division was established on March 14th, 1942, in France. It was built around the 101,Panzer-Brigade and two infantry regiments. The units worked with "booty tanks", captured Allied vehicles.
In April, the division went to the Eastern Front near Kharkov. It stayed on this front for the rest of the war and surrendered on the 8th of May, 1945. The division was interned at Tamsweg Mauterndorf.