The first of the German armored cars, the Sd. Kfz. 231 was based on a modified 6x4 truck chassis. The 231 was armed with a 20mm cannon and had a second driver in the rear so that the vehicle could be driven either forwards or backwards with relative ease. The 231 was introduced into service in 1932 and was replaced in 1937 when the German Army switched to 8-wheeled armoured cars instead of 6-wheeled. While they were used by Aufklarungs (SS reconnaissance) units during the Polish Campaign and in the Battle of France, they were withdrawn afterwards for use as internal security and training. The crew consisted of a commander, gunner, driver, and a radio operator/rear driver.
Pictured here is a 1:43 scale replica of a German Sd. Kfz. 231 8-wheeled heavy armored car. Now in stock!
Length: 4 inches
Width: 2 inches