Eaglemoss EM030 German Sd. Kfz. 222 Light Armored Car - 20.Panzer Division, Orel, Russia, 1943 (1:43 Scale)
"If the tank succeeds, then victory follows."
- Major-General Heinz Guderian, "Achtung Panzer!"
To support its mobile concept of modern warfare, Germany introduced a wide range of tracked and wheeled armored vehicles. One wheeled family of vehicles introduced in 1936 included 4x4 armored cars known as the, which translates as Light Armored Reconnaissance Vehicle. Powered by a Horch engine, these vehicles were based on a Horch 801 heavy car chassis to which an armored body was added. Early in WWII it performed well enough as a reconnaissance vehicle for panzer divisions, although its off-road capability let it down. Dragon Armor is introducing a model from the Leichter Panzerspahwagen family - the Sd. Kfz. 222. It is armed with a 2cm KwK.30 L/55 cannon and MG34 machine gun in an open-top turret. A crew of three operated the Sd. Kfz. 222.
Pictured here is a 1:43 scale replica of a German Sd. Kfz. 222 armored car that was attached to the 20.Panzer Division, then deployed to Orel, Russia, during 1943.
Now in stock!
Release Date: August 2015
Historical Account: "To the East" - The 20.Panzer-Division was formed in Octpber 1940 at Erfurt, Germany, from parts of the 19.Infanterie-Division and 33.Infanterie-Division as well as from several replacement and reserve units. It took part in the invasion of the Soviet Union, fighting on the central sector of the front as it advanced near Moscow. It was transferred south in May 1944, suffering heavy losses during the Soviet summer offensive. It was transferred to Romania for refitting in August and was sent to East Prussia in October 1944. It was sent to Hungary in January 1945 and ended the war in eastern Germany.