Hobby Master HG1401 German Sd. Kfz. 222 Light Armored Car - 1.Kompanie, 4.Kradschutzen Abeteilung, 24.Panzer Division, Russia, August 1942 (1:48 Scale)
"If the tank succeeds, then victory follows."
- Major-General Heinz Guderian, "Achtung Panzer!"
The Leichter Panzerspahwagen (German: roughly "Light Armoured Reconnaissance Vehicle") were a series of light four-wheel drive armoured cars produced by Nazi Germany from 1935 to 1944. They were developed by Eisenwerk Weserhatte of Bad Oeynhausen. Chassis were built by Auto Union in Zwickau and assembled by F. Schichau of Elbing and Maschinenfabrik Niedersachsen in Hanover-Linden.
It used the standard sPkw I Horch 801 (heavy car) chassis with an angled armoured body and turret. The rear mounted engine was a 67 kW (90 hp) Horch 3.5 petrol engine, giving it a road speed of 80 km/h (50 mph) and a cross-country speed of 40 km/h (25 mph). It had a maximum range of 300 km (186 mi).
Used by the reconnaissance battalions (Aufklarungs-Abteilung) of the Panzer divisions, the type performed well enough in countries with good road networks, like those in Western Europe. However, on the Eastern Front and North Africa, this class of vehicle was hampered by its relatively poor off-road performance. In those theaters, it gradually found itself replaced in the reconnaissance role by the Sd Kfz 250 half-track. The Sd Kfz 250/9 was the Sdkfz 250 with the same turret as the Sd Kfz 222.
The Sd. Kfz. 222 was examined by Soviet designers before they created the similar BA-64 light armoured car. The front and sides were made of 8 mm (0.3 in) steel; thinner 5 mm (0.2 in) plates protected the top, rear, and bottom. Cast vision ports later replaced ports cut into the armour. The open topped turret was fitted with wire mesh anti-grenade screens.
Pictured here is a 1:48 scale replica of a German Sd. Kfz. 222 light armored car that was attached to 1.Kompanie, 4.Kradschutzen Abeteilung, 24.Panzer Division, then deployed to Russia, during August 1942. Special Order!
Length: 3-3/4 inches
Width: 1-3/4 inches
Release Date: July 2011
Historical Account: "Across the Endless Steppes" - The 24.Panzer Division was formed in 1942 from the 1st Cavalry Division based at Konigsberg. It served under the Fourth Panzer Army in Army Group South of the Eastern Front. In late December 1942 it was encircled in the Battle of Stalingrad and destroyed. It was reformed in March 1943 and served in Normandy, Italy and then went back to the Eastern Front where it suffered heavy casualties around Kiev and the Dnepr Bend. During spring-1944 it took part in the Battles of Targu Frumos, part of the First Jassy-Kishinev Offensive. Near the end of the war it saw action in Poland, Hungary and Slovakia before it surrendered to the British in May 1945. In keeping with the Division's mounted origins, the 24.Panzer's tank crewmen wore the golden-yellow Waffenfarbe of the cavalry rather than Panzer pink.