Hobby Master HG1402 German Sd. Kfz. 222 Light Armored Car - 'Siegfried', 1.Kompanie, 3.Aufklarung Abteilung, 5.Leicht Division, Deutsches Afrika Korps, North Africa, March 1941 (1:48 Scale)
"The peril of the hour moved the British to tremendous exertions, just as always in a moment of extreme danger things can be done which had previously been thought impossible. Mortal danger is an effective antidote for fixed ideas."
- Generalfeldmarschall Erwin Rommel
The Leichter Panzerspahwagen (German: roughly "Light Armoured Reconnaissance Vehicle") were a series of light four-wheel drive armoured cars produced by Nazi Germany from 1935 to 1944. They were developed by Eisenwerk Weserhatte of Bad Oeynhausen. Chassis were built by Auto Union in Zwickau and assembled by F. Schichau of Elbing and Maschinenfabrik Niedersachsen in Hanover-Linden.
It used the standard sPkw I Horch 801 (heavy car) chassis with an angled armoured body and turret. The rear mounted engine was a 67 kW (90 hp) Horch 3.5 petrol engine, giving it a road speed of 80 km/h (50 mph) and a cross-country speed of 40 km/h (25 mph). It had a maximum range of 300 km (186 mi).
Used by the reconnaissance battalions (Aufklarungs-Abteilung) of the Panzer divisions, the type performed well enough in countries with good road networks, like those in Western Europe. However, on the Eastern Front and North Africa, this class of vehicle was hampered by its relatively poor off-road performance. In those theaters, it gradually found itself replaced in the reconnaissance role by the Sd Kfz 250 half-track. The Sd Kfz 250/9 was the Sdkfz 250 with the same turret as the Sd Kfz 222.
The Sd. Kfz. 222 was examined by Soviet designers before they created the similar BA-64 light armoured car. The front and sides were made of 8 mm (0.3 in) steel; thinner 5 mm (0.2 in) plates protected the top, rear, and bottom. Cast vision ports later replaced ports cut into the armour. The open topped turret was fitted with wire mesh anti-grenade screens.
Pictured here is a 1:48 scale replica of a German Sd. Kfz. 222 Light Armored Car that was attached to 1.Kompanie, 3.Aufklarung Abteilung, 5.Leicht Division, then deployed to North Africa, during March 1941. Now in stock!
Length: 3-3/4 inches
Width: 1-3/4 inches
Release Date: November 2011
Historical Account: "Unser Rommel" - The 21.Panzer-Division was ordered formed by the Oberkommando des Heeres from the 5.Leicht-Division on August 1st, 1941. The date of formation listed by various sources is conflicting, and this seems due to the fact that although the unit was ordered formed on August 1st, it most likely did not come together until late in 1941.
Many sources list the date of formation as being in October 1941. Panzer-Regiment 5, previously a part of the 5.Leicht-Division already stationed in North Africa, continued to function as a combat unit. When the change of formation took place, the new 21.Panzer began to form while Panzer-Regiment 5 continued to operate in North Africa.