Hobby Master HG5103 German Sd. Kfz. 11/4 3-Ton Nebelkraftwagen - Panzerjager Abteilung 49, 4.Panzer Division, Eastern Front, Summer 1943 (1:72 Scale)
"If the tank succeeds, then victory follows."
- Major-General Heinz Guderian, "Achtung Panzer!"
The Sd.Kfz. 11 (Sonderkraftfahrzeug - special motorized vehicle) was a German half-track that saw very widespread use in World War II. Its main role was as a prime mover for medium towed guns ranging from the 3.7 cm FlaK 43 anti-aircraft gun up to the 10.5 cm leFH 18 field howitzer. It could carry eight troops in addition to towing a gun or trailer.
The basic engineering for all the German half-tracks was developed during the Weimar-era by the Reichswehr's Military Automotive Department, but final design and testing was farmed out to commercial firms with the understanding that production would be shared with multiple companies. Borgward was chosen to develop the second smallest of the German half-tracks and built a series of prototypes between 1934 and 1937. However development was taken over in 1938 by Hanomag who designed the main production version, H kl 6.
The chassis formed the basis for the Sd.Kfz. 251 medium armored personnel carrier. Approximately 9,000 were produced between 1938 and 1945, making it one of the more numerous German tactical vehicles of the war. It participated in the Invasion of Poland, the Battle of France, the Balkans Campaign and fought on both the Western Front and the Eastern Front, in North Africa and in Italy.
The Sd.Kfz.11/4 was a modified version of the basic 11/1 3 ton and was used to tow 10cm mortars and later to carry 15cm and 21cm Nebelwerfer rockets, the vehicle was also used to tow the NbW 41 and NbW 42 rocket launchers. Basically identical with the 11/1 except for the rear storage compartments being enlarged to allow room for the rockets. The width of the rear section was also increased to allow the storage of longer rockets.
Pictured here is a 1:72 scale replica of a German Sd. Kfz. 11/4 3-Ton Nebelkraftwagen that was attached to Panzerjager Abteilung 49, 4.Panzer Division, then deployed to the Eastern Front during the summer of 1943. Now in stock!
Length: 4-1/2 inches
Width: 1-1/2 inches
Release Date: October 2013
Historical Account: "Pan's Enchantment" - Formed at Wurzburg in November 1938, 4.Panzer-Division fought in both Poland and France, before remaining in France on occupation duty until November 1940. It was later transferred to East Prussia to take part in the invasion of the USSR, fighting on the central sector of the Eastern front. Like the rest of the Wehrmacht, it was eventually pushed back by the Red Army. The unit fought in Latvia and Kurland from the summer of 1944 until January 1945, when it was transferred to West Prussia where it surrendered to the Red Army in April 1945.